An electricty safety comment I havent seen elsewhere

jared555

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Clinton, IL
Iffrat;3188177; said:
spoken like the words of a true electrical engineer .. or someone who has done an amazing amount of research in electricity .. as a electrical biomedical engineer i try to explain how this stuff works but most of the time people just look at me and say .. " you stick a fork into a lite socket and it will kill you" and i just ~face+palm~

so thank you for being able to explain this in a way that most people can understand or beleve ..
Thanks, I just see where people talk about sticking their hand back in the water multiple times and getting shocked and think "you are lucky you didn't die". Usually it is so old of a thread you can't really make suggestions medically at least. People don't realize you can be up and moving (and just feeling funny or fine) but still have caused possibly life threatening damage that needs immediate attention.

And no, I am not trained in any way but I have studied a lot because I am hoping to do some projects working with high voltage transformers, pulse capacitors, etc. when I get a true job.

Plus GFCI does not always protect you, but in 99.9% of the situations you are in working with things like this, it will at least help significantly.

Not saying this thread (it really isn't organized enough) but I think that this kind of subject is important enough something needs stickied.

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
jared555;3189154; said:
Thanks, I just see where people talk about sticking their hand back in the water multiple times and getting shocked and think "you are lucky you didn't die". Usually it is so old of a thread you can't really make suggestions medically at least. People don't realize you can be up and moving (and just feeling funny or fine) but still have caused possibly life threatening damage that needs immediate attention.

And no, I am not trained in any way but I have studied a lot because I am hoping to do some projects working with high voltage transformers, pulse capacitors, etc. when I get a true job.

Plus GFCI does not always protect you, but in 99.9% of the situations you are in working with things like this, it will at least help significantly.

Not saying this thread (it really isn't organized enough) but I think that this kind of subject is important enough something needs stickied.
i was talking more about oddballs post .. i didnt ready your post before i posted the response i made ..

chemicall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
canada
Got shocked from my tank once, was the heater, got that fixed and then I installed some GFCI's. All is fine since.

On another note I was disconnecting my home stereo one day when suddenly I got shocked unplugging some power cords - well my arm was numb and I felt dizzy after that and had to go lay down. The stereo didnt get re-hooked up that night.

Now i'm ALOT more careful around power cords, that shock was not fun.

jared555

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Clinton, IL
chemicall;3190250; said:
Got shocked from my tank once, was the heater, got that fixed and then I installed some GFCI's. All is fine since.

On another note I was disconnecting my home stereo one day when suddenly I got shocked unplugging some power cords - well my arm was numb and I felt dizzy after that and had to go lay down. The stereo didnt get re-hooked up that night.

Now i'm ALOT more careful around power cords, that shock was not fun.
And for people who do DIY work in different projects, I don't know if there is anything aquarium related that this could happen, but just in case.

There are some devices that even when unplugged can shock you quite severely. Computer power supplies, crt screens (tvs/computer monitors), stereo equipment, etc. can contain a charge days, weeks, or months later depending on the design of the device. (many new devices have some kind of protection to discharge capacitors but it is not a guarantee).

This is something to keep in mind for people who have the idea to turn a CRT screen case into an aquarium (I think it is mainly mac's that people do this with). The shock from a CRT picture tube can cause heart issues. Even something as small as a disposable camera has a capacitor that can chip a screwdriver if you short it out.

Again, this is something you are unlikely to come across unless you are doing DIY work with equipment that contains capacitors but I am sure at least some here have.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Personal experience, I had a heater in my sump with a short in it. Had no idea what was going on, but i felt quite strange when sticking my hand in there, an odd buzz, i started thinking maybe my water was off because I felt like I was getting a rash, my arm was real itchy. But whatever, an itchy arm i could deal with, so I kept working. However as i walls working, I stepped on my metal air vent right beside the sump with my hand in the water. Ouch. Wasn't too bad, it felt like my biggest shot of adrenaline i have ever gotten, i was "pumped", "energized", but my hand felt like I just fell on pavement and scraped it raw. Unplugged heater, threw it out, and learned a great lesson. Happy it doesn't effect the fish much, though can't be good for them either.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store