Anemones and other things

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
You can also put in inverts such as shrimp, also corals (though they will need to be trimmed if they get to big, I wouldn't go with plants, most are somewhat plauge like haha. Mite I suggest a Yellow Watchman goby with a pistol shrimp partener? As they are interesting to see together.

Sylvias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2010
Somewhere
I don't mind the upkeep of plants, i have quite a few around my room and the geckos vivarium that I am always tending to.... soon to add the 5 gal freshwater as well
Corals would be cool though, but i always thought they needed huge set ups to and were difficult to keep alive?

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Sylvias;4321934; said:
I don't mind the upkeep of plants, i have quite a few around my room and the geckos vivarium that I am always tending to.... soon to add the 5 gal freshwater as well
Corals would be cool though, but i always thought they needed huge set ups to and were difficult to keep alive?
You don't need a huge setup, but keeping good water parameters could be tricky in a small tank. But there are some corals that can do well in nanos. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597+2790 is a good place to start to look at corals that (they say) are good for nanos. Corals can also be trimmed if they get to big.

overcooked

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
LA
Sylvias;4318044; said:
Really? Even smaller anemones? I didn't realize they needed that much space.
Oh well that can wait till later, I definitely plan on having much larger tanks in the future...amongst the rest of my zoo.... this is just what i have to work with right now.
So what are some bright unique fish or inverts that would do well in a tank this size?
You can keep some Mini Carpet Anemones. They are extremely hardy and would do well in a 12 gallon. Make sure it's the Mini Carpet and not just Carpet Anemone.

overcooked

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
LA
Sylvias;4327352; said:
How do I make sure it is? are there obvious differences?
The large carpets are generally just one color and will already be at least 5 inches at the store. The Mini Carpets do come in one color but usually at least 2 or more colors. The nice ones have up to 6. If you just Google Mini Carpet Anemone and browse around you'll get a good idea of what they look like. They are really colorful.

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
If you do go with an anenome, be sure you have the right setup: They require a lot of light and pristine water conditions.

As for plants, I don't know if I've ever seen marine plants for sale. And the only marine "vegetation" I've seen are nuisance algae! ;)

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Oh and I'm not sure mini carpets host... I looked into it and couldn't find any info on them hosting, also found that they dont get bigger then 2" so hosting would be out of the question, I would say IF you will try go with a bubble tip, and if it gets to big frag it (aka cut it in half) and then just keep it in QT for a week or 2 so it can heal before the clowns pester it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store