Angel fish laying eggs..need help

spongebob281

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
houston
Just bought a pair of extra large angel fish at a LFS. Someone brought them in because their tank sprung a leak. I bought them for $28 which is pretty cheap I think. Anyways, tonight I found tiny brownish eggs on the bottom of my tank....what Do I need to do to raise them?

I know this board is for monsterfishs which I already have several in the garage.

Nyghtfire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
Perth, Australia
spongebob281;4506200; said:
Just bought a pair of extra large angel fish at a LFS. Someone brought them in because their tank sprung a leak. I bought them for $28 which is pretty cheap I think. Anyways, tonight I found tiny brownish eggs on the bottom of my tank....what Do I need to do to raise them?

I know this board is for monsterfishs which I already have several in the garage.
in my experiences here, monsterfish or not everyones willing to help out.
and from memory theres a few people who are breeding angelfish successfully.
but personally i keep 3 fat healthy angels but no experiences in breeding.
did a quick google search of angelfish breeding, there was alot of info, until someone better responds, try sifting through all that :)

stevenrox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
I AM LEGEND!
I personally removed all my eggs never had any luck with the parents raising them, fun to watch though.

ecstasy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Saudi arabia
iv breed angels before if the eggs r in the buttom it will never hatch

what u need to get is a big leafs and they'll put the eggs on it and thats how u breed the angels

Brengun

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Qld, Australia
Yes angelfish prefer to lay their eggs on something like a large anubias leaf. It takes about 5 days for the eggs to hatch during which time the parents will blow clean water across the eggs and pick out any infertile ones.

Once the eggs hatch you have wrigglers with an eggsac who still cannot swim.
My angelfish keep picking up the wrigglers who fall off the leaf and put them back.
They even go to the extent of putting sand on the leaf to stop the wrigglers from falling off.

At about 3 more days the wrigglers will have absorbed their eggsacs and are free swimming. This is the time you will most often lose the fry as the minute you go near the tank the parents get agitated and want to keep all their fry together in the one place. Of course the fry often have other ideas which make the parents all the more upset and often fry being moved in the parents mouth will accidentally get swallowed.

It is best then to take most of the fry into a fry saver where the parents cannot eat them. You can leave them a few to raise but I have never had them successfully raise them by themselves for more than a few weeks.

Usual food for baby angelfish is baby brine shrimp and vegetable flakes.

Loves severums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Michigan
Brengun;4509931; said:
Yes angelfish prefer to lay their eggs on something like a large anubias leaf. It takes about 5 days for the eggs to hatch during which time the parents will blow clean water across the eggs and pick out any infertile ones.

Once the eggs hatch you have wrigglers with an eggsac who still cannot swim.
My angelfish keep picking up the wrigglers who fall off the leaf and put them back.
They even go to the extent of putting sand on the leaf to stop the wrigglers from falling off.

At about 3 more days the wrigglers will have absorbed their eggsacs and are free swimming. This is the time you will most often lose the fry as the minute you go near the tank the parents get agitated and want to keep all their fry together in the one place. Of course the fry often have other ideas which make the parents all the more upset and often fry being moved in the parents mouth will accidentally get swallowed.

It is best then to take most of the fry into a fry saver where the parents cannot eat them. You can leave them a few to raise but I have never had them successfully raise them by themselves for more than a few weeks.

Usual food for baby angelfish is baby brine shrimp and vegetable flakes.
^some time they will do that. make sure they have they own tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store