Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I wouldn't mind adding a couple of angelfish to my 72x30x25” with:
4 wc geophagus neambi
2 cb red head tapajos
2 cb hoplarcus psittacus
wc l128 pleco
Pink tail chalceus

I can’t find any accounts of angels with psittacus, mine are 9-10 and bicker like an old married couple but ignore every other fish. The wife mentioned the wild caught angels I had before the psittacus and now the wheels are turning. Any experience, or thoughts are appreciated.

thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
I think it depends on the character of your pair. If they ignore the others it could work, angelfish have a very atypical shape aswell, so its likely they arent even perceived as rival Cichlids. I saw them kept with bigger cichlids like crenicichla or oscars, so it can be done, but you can't say for sure without trying.

I personally would worry more about the chalceus, mine were a greedy pain in the A that figured out they can be what piranhas are portrayed as, they would shred angelfish. Even took apart heros, but I think I was an isolated case.

Reactions: bkfamus and bbortko

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I think it depends on the character of your pair. If they ignore the others it could work, angelfish have a very atypical shape aswell, so its likely they arent even perceived as rival Cichlids. I saw them kept with bigger cichlids like crenicichla or oscars, so it can be done, but you can't say for sure without trying.

I personally would worry more about the chalceus, mine were a greedy pain in the A that figured out they can be what piranhas are portrayed as, they would shred angelfish. Even took apart heros, but I think I was an isolated case.
I’ve seen them with bigger fish as you mentioned but a five minute video doesn’t really say how it worked. My chalceus is only half grown but so far minds his own.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One other factor you may want to consider is flow preference.
All the fish you already have prefer a laminar flow and tolerate a fairly rigorous current)
but angels prefer slack water areas.
If you don't already provide rigorous flow, them it probably won' matter.

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
I kept creni with various small fish and Oscars with Guppies and tetras.

The Creni were swimming with angelfish before I bought them, trained on pellets and ignored everything that wasnt shaped like them. They however tore apart a small arowana that had as "similiar" colouration and shape.

The Oscars were trained on pellets aswell and just didnt bother when I added the Guppies, they were curious at first but lost interest soon.

My chalceus were a group of like 20, also cannibalized.

Reactions: bbortko

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
FWIW, I just pulled a young PTC from a 210 for bullying more mature angels, forcing them to stay lower in the water column.. Angels seem freer now, back up top. May be that my PTC is an a-hole. but figured I'd share..

Reactions: bbortko

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
One other factor you may want to consider is flow preference.
All the fish you already have prefer a laminar flow and tolerate a fairly rigorous current)
but angels prefer slack water areas.
If you don't already provide rigorous flow, them it probably won' matter.
Flow is return from a laguna maxflo 2900(probably around 2000gph after head loss) and a large wavemaker on one end with the overflow on the other end .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store