Angelfish Tankmates

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I was looking for some Bad@ss tankmates for my four Angels. Two of the four are veil tails, and they are all between 3-4". I'm looking into fish like large cichlids (like Severum, although I already have two, so I want no more). I also like eels, knifefish, and other miscellaneous fish. All of my fish are currently housed in a 7' x 2' x 2' 200 gallon.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Well I would definetly research some more and just think about fish that aren't too nippy or too agressive.
So u want Bad@ss fish maybe like peacock eel or bichir (careful some are nippy) blue ram cichlids (small not as bad@ss) u could take a risk with a parrot fish (start small) could do pictus catfish or African butterfly fish or gouramis(not the giant) some of the milder knifefish (African, elephant, etc) NO CLOWN KNIFE!!! IMO I think a school of small fish like tetras or something will look cool with a school of Cory cats on the bottom some Siamese catfish and blue Rams but u want Bad@ss and I gave u some bad@ss fish too. Also discus if u have money to throw.
Here are some BAD examples of tank mates:
Flowerhorn cichlid
Midas cichlid
Oscar cihlid
ALL MEAN CICHLIDS
Snakehead fish
Arowana
Payara (Vampire fish)
Piranha
On and on with obvious stuff like that

Here's my set up of Angels with an arowana and blood parrot and jack Dempsey
(DONT TRY THIS ITS A AWFUL IDEA MINE HAS WORKED FOR A YEAR BUT THE AROWANA COULD TURN ON THEM ANY DAY I AM TAKING A RISK)

Hope u find this helpful

Reactions: Angelphish

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
20160213_190609 (1).jpg This was the Parrot. Very calm and full of personality, at least mine was.P1040687.JPG
These are the two new Angels. I was lucky and got a pair (I should have demanded a pair for $40 a piece).1458328861427.jpg
These two Angelfish were the only of the five that survived the ich. They have bred for me three times. I'm happy to say that everything is okay now.
Well I would definetly research some more and just think about fish that aren't too nippy or too agressive.
So u want Bad@ss fish maybe like peacock eel or bichir (careful some are nippy) blue ram cichlids (small not as bad@ss) u could take a risk with a parrot fish (start small) could do pictus catfish or African butterfly fish or gouramis(not the giant) some of the milder knifefish (African, elephant, etc) NO CLOWN KNIFE!!! IMO I think a school of small fish like tetras or something will look cool with a school of Cory cats on the bottom some Siamese catfish and blue Rams but u want Bad@ss and I gave u some bad@ss fish too. Also discus if u have money to throw.
Here are some BAD examples of tank mates:
Flowerhorn cichlid
Midas cichlid
Oscar cihlid
ALL MEAN CICHLIDS
Snakehead fish
Arowana
Payara (Vampire fish)
Piranha
On and on with obvious stuff like that

Here's my set up of Angels with an arowana and blood parrot and jack Dempsey
(DONT TRY THIS ITS A AWFUL IDEA MINE HAS WORKED FOR A YEAR BUT THE AROWANA COULD TURN ON THEM ANY DAY I AM TAKING A RISK)

Hope u find this helpful
Back onto topic. Thanks for all of the information. This is the most I've ever gotten out of one post. Basically by bad@ss I mean 6"+. I already have a Firemouth in with the Angels. It seems to be going along well other than the fact that the Firemouth wants to be king of the tank and the Angels haven't figured it out yet. I've already kept a blood parrot with Angels, but the ich wiped him out (there were only six survivors). I also already have a peacock eel. I was looking into about four geophagus, a couple of Parrots, two Electric blue Acara, and another Firemouth. It seemed that your JD could care less for the Angels. If that is true, I may get a couple of those too. For my Bad@ss fish, I was looking at a ghost knife.
Why is it that a clown knife would not be suitable for the Angels, yet an African or Elephant knife may be? I was looking at a Pictus yesterday, but decided on a Suncat because of the price and size difference. If the person I'm selling to responds on craigslist, I may have money to throw at some discus, until then I will likely have to stick with fish below $35. The store I normally go to imports from Han's and they sell 2.5-3" for $60.

Last edited:

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Thanks for all of the information. This is the most I've ever gotten out of one post. Basically by bad@ss I mean 6"+. I already have a Firemouth in with the Angels. It seems to be going along well other than the fact that the Firemouth wants to be king of the tank and the Angels haven't figured it out yet. I've already kept a blood parrot with Angels, but the ich wiped him out (there were only six survivors). I also already have a peacock eel. I was looking into about four geophagus, a couple of Parrots, two Electric blue Acara, and another Firemouth. It seemed that your JD could care less for the Angels. If that is true, I may get a couple of those too. For my Bad@ss fish, I was looking at a ghost knife.
Why is it that a clown knife would not be suitable for the Angels, yet an African or Elephant knife may be? I was looking at a Pictus yesterday, but decided on a Suncat because of the price and size difference. If the person I'm selling to responds on craigslist, I may have money to throw at some discus, until then I will likely have to stick with fish below $35. The store I normally go to imports from Han's and they sell 2.5-3" for $60.
Wow first of all the tankmates with rn already look nice.
For geophagus,acara, and parrots try ones that are the same size as ur Angels.
My JD is nearly 7 years old now so she still chases the bp away from her spot and kinda spooks the Angels but she isn't super mean cause she's old. For JD it depends on individual some are chill and some are tough it's a hit or miss (if ur gonna try start out small) also ur tank seems large enough so it'll probably work definetly a gorgeous fish IMO.
Clown knife don't work cause they get MASSIVE and are quite agressive they are known as true monster fish and are normally housed with big guys like P Bass and arowana. The other species are smaller and aren't as mean a ghost knife may work I have no experience so look online.
Ya discus are pricey I would wait on those

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Would it be a bad idea to get two parrots? Should I stick with one?
My tank originally had 2 but I moved one out because it was being too tough on its tankmates including my arowana (it's a wuss) so personally I would try 1 for now bp can't really breed anyway so one is fine. From what I've gathered this tank is gonna have:
4 angelfish
1 blood parrot
2 severum
1 Jack Dempsey (very iffy on this)
1-2 blue acara
1 ghost knifefish
1-2 geophagus
This looks good it won't be too crowded and nobody will be too dominant except the JD which is why I would lean towards no since it will bully the smaller cichlids like the geophagus and acara and also definetly need dither fish to spread the aggression so like tetras danios silver dollars etc

Good luck let me know anymore questions and I want pictures when this happens

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
My tank currently has
4 Angels
2 Severum
1 Peacock eel
1 common pleco
1 african featherfin
2 Balas
1 Firmouth
1 suncat
My tank may/not have
2 more Angels
1 more Firmouth
2 Blue Acara
4 rh geo's
1 bp
1 bgk
1 Jd maybe

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
My tank currently has
4 Angels
2 Severum
1 Peacock eel
1 common pleco
1 african featherfin
2 Balas
1 Firmouth
1 suncat
My tank may/not have
2 more Angels
1 more Firmouth
2 Blue Acara
4 rh geo's
1 bp
1 bgk
1 Jd maybe
I think that sounds good but once again I may sound annoying but the JD is a big maybe title tear up those bottom feeders and smaller cihlids especially the eel and featherfin
Can I see some pics or vid of ur current set up also the fire mouths for some reason aggravate my JD and it destroyed them I remember when I was little my dad brought home two fire mouths each 4 inches and the five inch JD during dinner time murdered both of them lol she's so chill with most fish but not fire mouths for some reason also if u get a male JD that whole set up is gone lol they are bigger and meaner

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
From what I'm understanding the Angels are the main centerpiece with other fish all over the place. Remember with this many bottom feeders and cichlids ur gonna need lots of spots for hiding. Also lots of plants for Angels cause they love them (and occasionally eat the live ones)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store