Angels and frontosas?

skipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2006
Modesto area
Does anyone think it would be possible to keep large angelfish with frontosas? I'm thinking if the fronts were pretty small when they were introduced.

jpjn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
FL
You know, I've been wondering the same thing. I'm curious to read some replies. I do know that once that Frontosa is big enough to eat an angel, THEY WILL. I am tempting to try it myself, but I'd keep a REAL CLOSE eye on them. Angelfish sleep at night on the bottom of the tank, and Frontosa's HUNT at night.

My Frontosa's would eat all the baby Malawi's at night when they were in the African Cichlid tank. And they (the Frontosa's) were pretty small themselves then.

jpjn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
FL
But I never mess with the ph at all and it's the same in all of my tanks. Including my angels tank AND my Frontosa tank. They all do fine. By the way, my water is more on the hard water, high ph side.
Guess my angels have just always adapted.

skipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2006
Modesto area
I already have both species in tanks with my super hard well water. I've had angels for years and they do fine. Also I've got a breeding colony of brichiardis in the same well water. So really my question is more about how big the angels need to be before they get eaten or if they would have a really poor quality of life from harassment.

jpjn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
FL
Skipper, that's exactly what MY question is too.

Has anyone kept these 2 species together in a tank? How'd it go? I would think if the Frontosa's are still small, and the angels full grown, that they'd be ok together. As a rule, Frontosa's only eat what they can fit in their mouth.

evangelinesaed

Feeder Fish
Dec 12, 2022
I’ve had one male frontosa kept with about 10 angels for a couple of months now and because my frontosa is naturally very calm and has a large rock house surrounded by plants that’s his territory I’ve never had any issues, I would say make sure you have water that both species can handle as that’s the biggest issue you’ll come across and definitely have a very large tank. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it but i wouldn’t completely discourage it either. My tank is 410L, 4ft by 2ft by 3ft

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I've successfully kept severums and fronts (both in tap water) and had both thrive. Angels can be jerks. I'd be more concerned with them punking the fronts than the fronts eating them. But should be fine.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I was about to strongly disagree, but I remembered I have a singular female neolamp cygnus in my "northwest south america" tank.

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I would say perhaps coexist together but not thrive. Granted both if captive bred then they might be able to live together if they're used to the tap water. I typically don't mix African with American cichlids, I think the behaviour causes more problems even with common Jewels while semi aggressive I've had smaller juvenile centrals pester them.

I have seen a store in Calgary house peacocks and discus in the same tank. Neither species bothers the other but I certainly wouldn't be trying it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store