Another collecting trip cancelled

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had set up a collecting trip to the Mamoni River for today, but got the Email below from the U.S. Embassy in Panama.
Luckily my guide, fellow net caster, and driver Danny Atencio is flexible, and we will attempt it tomorrow.
When demonstrations like the ones expected below happens, all roads in or about of the city are shut down, and getting to collection sites is impossible.
I had tried to do a collecting trip last week, but ended up sitting in traffic for hours, before aborting the attempted trip caused by a demonstration.

Alert: March 19 Demonstrations

More than 20 labor unions plan to demonstrate and operate roadblocks commencing Tuesday, March 19 at 7:00 a.m. and concluding Wednesday, March 20 at 7:00 a.m. Since the beginning of March, several regions of Panama have experienced protests and temporary roadblocks, notably in Tumba Muerto, Howard, San Isidro, Centenario Road (near Merca), Penonomé, Coclé (near Aquilino Tejerira Hospital), Cinta Costera, Avenida Balboa, Las Villas, Arraijan, Green City Panama Norte (also known as Corredor de Los Pobres), Corredor Sur (in Llano Bonito), San Antonio (in San Miguelito), Brisas del Golf (San Miguelito), and Via Cincuentenario (in San Francisco). There is a possibility these locations and others may face similar disruptions March 19.

While most demonstrations are non-violent, the Panamanian National Police have used tear gas and/or riot control munitions in response to demonstrations, particularly when roadways are blocked, or in cases of aggression against the police.

When all things go as planned, its a beautiful thing.
ad1b63eb-b3f4-4892-a60b-a13212dafad8.jpegad1b63eb-b3f4-4892-a60b-a13212dafad8.jpegIMG_6861.jpegab5aba25-f8c0-4022-b481-3b80e9fd5275.jpegIMG_2217.jpegIMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_2868.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Another seafu (today Weds)
My driver and guide, car broke down.
Luckily he sent the news, before I got on the ferry to the mainland.
You can imagine, if you were (as a business) a collector and had booked a weeks trip, this week so far, would be an almost complete failure so far.
Luckily there is always tomorrow.

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
SE USA
Nice of the unions to announce the protest schedule for everyone's planning convenience.🙄

Curious, does Panama export tropical fish? (I apologize for my ignorance)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Nice of the unions to announce the protest schedule for everyone's planning convenience.🙄

Curious, does Panama export tropical fish? (I apologize for my ignorance)
Panama has put a moratorium on taking fish (or any animal) from the wild to be sold outside the country.
Whether of not permits can be had to get around that, I don't know.

Yesterday I was finally able to get out of the Panama City limits, to collect in the Mamoni river, near Chepo, and our favorite spot just outside the small pueblo of Las Margaritas.
There were also 2 police check points before the Mamoni set up as we neared the Darien gap watching for refugees,
0c2a0027-f134-42fe-b88d-3505dfbf238d.jpegIMG_3956.jpeg
The dry season has lasted longer than expected this year, and with the lack of rain the river was down about 2 feet, and flowing less strongly, since the last time I was there, and seems like the fish population we were after, is way down.

We were only able to catch, and keep 3 juvie cichlids (@ 1.5") and 2 juvie Plecos @ 2.5)
We saw and netted almost a hundred tetras, and half dozen gobys, but these were all returned to the river.
There is normally a 2 hour travel gap between catching the fish, and getting the
We did catch about a half dozen fish locals call Lisa's here in Panama, and which we (English speakers) might call Mullet, probably Agonostomus monticola, or genus Mugil, I will need to take photos in the tank to get a fix on what species they might be.
The last time we were here in Sept of 2023, the river flow was much stronger, as in the photo below.
IMG_6951.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Below a couple of shots learning to photograph the mullet (?) species., and thru tannins that inundated my tank the other day.
IMG_3885.jpegIMG_3922.jpeg
A previously caught Brycon (Machaca) above
After a deluge of tannins below.
IMG_3983.jpegIMG_4002.jpeg

Although it hasn't been raining on the mainland lately, we had a deluge on our island the other day sent about 50 gallons of rain water off the roof and over dry foliage, (with lots of Tannins) and took the tank from clear, to the color of strong brown tea in only about 2 hours
IMG_4006.jpeg

Part of my collection kit, below.
IMG_3958.jpeg

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Below a couple of shots learning to photograph the mullet (?) species., and thru tannins that inundated my tank the other day.
View attachment 1538220View attachment 1538221
A previously caught Brycon (Machaca) above
After a deluge of tannins below.
View attachment 1538222View attachment 1538223

Although it hasn't been raining on the mainland lately, we had a deluge on our island the other day sent about 50 gallons of rain water off the roof and over dry foliage, (with lots of Tannins) and took the tank from clear, to the color of strong brown tea in only about 2 hours
View attachment 1538224

Part of my collection kit, below.
Probably a Curimata sp. its not a mullet. Its a characin noted by the adipose fin. Similar related to Prochilodus sp.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Probably a Curimata sp. its not a mullet. Its a characin noted by the adipose fin. Similar related to Prochilodus sp.
Good observation.
The locals here (my guide included) call all Characins either Sardinas, or Lisa's.
IMG_4969.jpegIMG_0374.jpegIMG_4028.jpeg
Almost all cichlids (and even some non- cichlids like Sgt Majors) are lumped into together the term Chogorros.
IMG_3135.jpegIMG_1635.jpegIMG_6959.jpeg

And anything hat even remotely resembles a goby, is called a guavina.
IMG_4198.jpegIMG_4170.jpegIMG_3022.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store