Another Newbie... North Carolina

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Got that! I will surely look for some guys to dig for me. Might need a new liner too..gets expensive after a while... but I love having the pond and the fish! Thanks for all of the info!
Your very welcome!
A friend of mine used NON TOXIC roofing liner for her pond, said it saved her about $1500 at the time.
Keep in mind pond liners will last longer if protected from sunlight.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
How cold has it gotten? Plecos can’t handle temps below 50F. I lost a 13” pleco from the temp dropping. They also need to be fed, not just expected to eat algae, though that doesn’t sound like that’s why this last one died.
I’d also suggest adding a bigger filter. Is the submerged one in the picture the only filter?

I agree your pond is beautiful:) sorry you’ve had such troubles along the way. Welcome!

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
If you have a lot of algae/plants and not enough water oxygenation, suffocation may be the cause for the die off. Air pump, waterfall or bigger pump may help. If you are cleaning your filter several times a day, it may be time to upgrade. What you have may be okay for small fish but adult fish requires more.

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
I live in south east VA (very close to the NC border) it was plenty cold enough here to kill a pleco yesterday. Comon plecos are ill advised to be kept with...anything really. They have a tendency to eat the fins and slime coats off of other fish. I've even seen them chew holes in other fish when they get really hungry.

Around 4ft deep is recommended minimum depth with koi because of afore mentioned reasons. You likely lost so many fish this summer because 1 a newly set up pond has no established cycle. 2. The location of the pond looks to get full sun most of the day. Long term exposure and shallow depth make for a hot tub. 3 stocking was a bit heavy especially for a newly setup pond.

Planted pond, reduced stock, heavily filtered and use of a UV sterilizer will help reduce green water. I stock koi at 100gallons per fish. This works best in my experience but every one does their own thing.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store