Another Pacu growth rate question

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hello guys,

I have just managed to rehome my pair of Buttikoferi, and so are just left with my 7 x geos Tapajos in my 180cm x 60cm x 60cm.

I belong to a couple of fish groups here, and long story short, I have landed up rescuing and temporarily housing two red belly pacu from some pretty dismal conditions. I'm surprised they managed to survive so long. The owner was closing down the tank, and if no one was going to take these guys, they would be "disposed of".

They were kept in a "large tank" - (3ft to be exact. here 90cm - 100cm and above is the start of "large sized tanks").
Not only were there two pacu in here, but there were also two giant gourami's. All four of them had been living together in there for about 10 months. He had no idea how old they were, but they were only a little smaller than they currently are when he had bought them from someone else who had them in a similar set up. They didn't grow that much he said. So I don't know their age, but they have to be a year or more I am sure.
The fish could barely turn around, and you will see how damaged the front of their faces are in the video below.
Water changes were only done once every 15days, and when I got there to collect them, the water was very green and smelled super "fishy".

This was only last week, and I am happy to say I have already found a home for one of them. (he is going into a circular pond, which from the pictures doesn't look too huge, but I'm sure over 300gal. But he wouldn't take them both. So I am left with one I am still trying to rehome properly. All the other people who want to adopt him have "large tanks" 100cm - 150cm max thus far who want to take him to live with their Oscars and Arowanas. So still waiting for the right fish to bite in that regard.

I know these pacu may be a little stunted and probably wont grow to their max size, but I'm sure they will still grow and get much bigger. What I want to know from the more experienced keepers out there is what the growth rate of the pacu I have left will be, how stunted he may be considering the previous conditions he was in, the fact he is already over a year old and still at the 23cm mark? (I have kept the smaller one of the two) How long do I have if I don't manage to find someone to adopt this one? I want to start planning now and not leave this worst scenario until he is too big.

I have a final back up plan, but its really last resort and not ideal. I would prefer to find someone who can properly care for him.

Lastly, are the wounds one their upper lips likely to heal up totally over time?

Filtration: 6000L per hour running through 3 x largest canisters could buy, all packed with ceramic media. And of course my wall of pothos. With 80% water changes twice a week.

Thanks!

- the feeding video is just them vacuuming up the geos food, I have some large pellets for them as well as shrimp they seem to enjoy.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
RBPacu can get to 18" their first year, so yours is definitely small. They still have the potential to get very very big. Pacu are more sensitive to nitrogen products than other fish, so keep the nitrates low. Highly unlikely that the upper lips will regenerate. The damage was done by repeated slamming into tank walls. Pacu have very vivid imaginations, and their characin freak outs can be spectacular. It sounds like a big explosion when mine slam into a tank wall or tank lid. I also recommend removing everything from the tank that the pacu can injure itself on during a freak out.

Pacu are also very inquisitive and curious about their world inside and outside of their tank. Anything in the tank can be chewed and/or destroyed or serve to injure them.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well done you mattybecks mattybecks for giving these fish a better chance than they had originally. There have been a few sorry stories on the forum lately regarding ill treatment of fish. At last a positive story, hope things work out.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
RBPacu can get to 18" their first year, so yours is definitely small. They still have the potential to get very very big. Pacu are more sensitive to nitrogen products than other fish, so keep the nitrates low. Highly unlikely that the upper lips will regenerate. The damage was done by repeated slamming into tank walls. Pacu have very vivid imaginations, and their characin freak outs can be spectacular. It sounds like a big explosion when mine slam into a tank wall or tank lid. I also recommend removing everything from the tank that the pacu can injure itself on during a freak out.

Pacu are also very inquisitive and curious about their world inside and outside of their tank. Anything in the tank can be chewed and/or destroyed or serve to injure them.
Thank you for the advice on the rocks tlindsy and pacu mom. On my next water change day Ill look at laying everything flat and burying in the sand.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Here are more recent videos from last night since the larger one has been rehomed. You can see how his lip is no longer red, but still showing the scars. He seems to be quite happy now though.
How much time does he have in this tank would you say? 6 months? 8 months? In your opinion what size do you think this one may grow too as an adult?

I may have another option for an outdoor display pond, but I'm worried its too shallow (Less than 2ft depth, about 1.5ft so shallower than mine current tank, but wider and longer) and gets hot in the summer. Like 33 - 35 C. Currently has Oscars and pangasius in it. Oscars seem fine but Pangasius have their bellys to the floor and their fins almost break the water. its about 1.5m wide and 3m long. Just shallow. I know Pacu get tall, so this may be more stressful for him. Especially with the heat of summer.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
1.5' is too shallow. Pacu hate their fins out of the water. The biggest problem with a shallow tank is doing water changes.
Thanks. I thought so. I don't think they ever do water changes in their pond. Just top up the water and they have some aquatic plants growing out of the pond. Ill give this guy a miss then.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I think your pacu could still get to 30" After the first couple of years, their growth in length slows down and they grow more in height and girth.

Reactions: mattybecks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store