Another wolf fish tankmate question

fishmarket

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2021
earth
So I was browsing this fish store that I often go to my surprise I saw a wolf fish over a foot long in a tank with a school of blood parrots, some bichir, and a few catfish that were similar in size. As far as I knew about wolf fish at that point tank mates were impossible. The store owner said he never had any aggression issues from the wolf fish, i'm a frequent customer so I trust his info to an extent. To my excitement I bought him and threw him in along with my monsters which are all bigger than him. It's been almost a week with no signs of fighting or injuries and the wolf is eating frozen food well, but I can't say I'm not worried about the wolf killing some of my beloved monsters. I haven't seen a lot of wolf fish community set ups online but the ones i've seen look risky. I believe it's a mala. To keep or not to keep?

fishmarket

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2021
earth
Tank is an 8'x2'x2'.
Current stock:
-2ft silver aro
-16" shortnose gar
-16" florida gar
-15" rtc
-17" endli bichir
-18" mad barb

*sizes are approximate as I havent measured in a while. And before I get roasted, just know tank is not the final home for some of the stock. It sounds crowded but it's not. Lol

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hopefully the wolf fish remains the same but yes a risk.
A risk but might work in the tank. Others have done the same mix with wolves and larger tankmates.

fishy_123

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
home
I concur with the above comments, a risk but could work. I have a mala now with tankmates. African pike, gold wolf, flagtail, bunch of red hook myleus. No aggression issues. I also think it depends on the individual fish. I also had a mala before with silver aro no issues as well.

here is my current mala

6DD753D4-D6A6-434C-9045-875839E6C51F.jpeg

Reactions: fishmarket

fishmarket

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2021
earth
I concur with the above comments, a risk but could work. I have a mala now with tankmates. African pike, gold wolf, flagtail, bunch of red hook myleus. No aggression issues. I also think it depends on the individual fish. I also had a mala before with silver aro no issues as well.

here is my current mala

View attachment 1504259
Hmm mine looks very different but I guess I haven't properly identified what kind I have lol.
Great tank btw! i feel at ease knowing yours are doing great

Reactions: fishy_123

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You’d have to get some pics of the underside of the jaw. Doesn’t have the typical mala patterns like fishy_123 posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store