Any beginner trout?

Jammie

Feeder Fish
Apr 19, 2023
Hi all! I am new to the hobby and plan to get a tank later this year, a little on the larger size but it depends on what space I have to work with since I'll be moving houses soon. Can't explain why but I've been very interested in trout (rainbow, brook, blue spotted hill) so I was wondering would any of these or even some other trout be suitable for a beginner? If not then I am happy to wait until later down the road when I am more experienced in the hobby

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
You could go with the hill trout if you’re talking about Barilius Bakeri. They are a type of cyprinid and not actually a trout.

The others you mentioned would need a chiller

Reactions: latapy10

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Yes that's the fish I mean

Are chillers difficult to use/maintain? Don't know much about them other than the fact they're expensive

They’re not hard to maintain or difficult to use. Just set the temperature, add a pump, and you’re good to go. They do use a lot of power though. You won’t need one for the Hill Trout but the others will, along with tons of flow, lots of dissolved oxygen, and very clean water

Jammie

Feeder Fish
Apr 19, 2023
I'll definitely spend more time looking more in depth into their housing. I know rainbow and brook trout are a lot bigger than hill trout so I was wondering if a 150 gallon could house a single rainbow trout or brook trout (or even a pair) for life?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I'll definitely spend more time looking more in depth into their housing. I know rainbow and brook trout are a lot bigger than hill trout so I was wondering if a 150 gallon could house a single rainbow trout or brook trout (or even a pair) for life?
No

Untitled-1-2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store