any idea on the sex of this Fuelleborni ?

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
the best ones so far

jan3rd 017.JPG

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
DonkeyFish;2605667; said:
Hey all--- I'm new to this site (well, posting at least), but not to fishes.
Not to be difficult (don't you just hate *that guy/girl*?), but I keep/breed L. trewavasae and I might be going crazy, but this fish looks to be not quite "broad" enough to be a fuelleborni (and that's "broad" as a P.C. term, of course). I've run into the two mislabeled before, so thought I'd bring it up and toss it up in the air. You know, before running and ducking for cover ;)

Oh, and FWIW, I'd bet you've got a future mama too. For all the reasons listed by the fine and well-seasoned MFK posters above. :)
welcome to mfk... and yes there is definitly that possibility... do you have any OB trewavasae...love to see a few pics... :D

DonkeyFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Herndon, VA
www.gwapa.org
Well thanks for the welcome! I've been an MFK stalker for awhile, just get on here and am so overwhelmed with the vastness of the site that I glaze over and have to get someone to help wipe the drool off my face and wrangle the laptop from my hands so I can get some rehab.

That said, your girl is definitely a looker. We're of course assuming a girl still ;). I do have OB ladies...but very different from yours. Mine are literally more orange, and with very little blotching. This last spawn has turned out some with almost no black at all, so who knows what I've got over here! Daddy is gorgeous though, so I'm banking on the boys to pull their weight in the looks department. The pics I have are pretty awful (Santa hasn't delivered my new camera yet)... but I'll dig them up and post in a few. Oh, and they're in a heaviliy planted tank. Funny, huh? Mbunas living peacefully with plants--with no ill effect! I swear these are my fav cichlids in the world! Sweet as can be and don't wreck my aquascape! :headbang2

DonkeyFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Herndon, VA
www.gwapa.org
Aw heck. Looking at your last pics again... there sure is a lot of color in those fins... Can be so hard sometimes. Marmelade males are pretty cool, not common at all, would that make you feel better if it turned out to be male?

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
DonkeyFish;2607225; said:
Well thanks for the welcome! I've been an MFK stalker for awhile, just get on here and am so overwhelmed with the vastness of the site that I glaze over and have to get someone to help wipe the drool off my face and wrangle the laptop from my hands so I can get some rehab.

That said, your girl is definitely a looker. We're of course assuming a girl still ;). I do have OB ladies...but very different from yours. Mine are literally more orange, and with very little blotching. This last spawn has turned out some with almost no black at all, so who knows what I've got over here! Daddy is gorgeous though, so I'm banking on the boys to pull their weight in the looks department. The pics I have are pretty awful (Santa hasn't delivered my new camera yet)... but I'll dig them up and post in a few. Oh, and they're in a heaviliy planted tank. Funny, huh? Mbunas living peacefully with plants--with no ill effect! I swear these are my fav cichlids in the world! Sweet as can be and don't wreck my aquascape! :headbang2
:grinno::grinno:haha your funny and nice to hear a sense of humor.. i would love to see those pics..all you can muster up.. i love these guys... you should see my richard... he actually is smiling.. i will try and get a good picture of him.. i would like to see your males too.. thanks..

DonkeyFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Herndon, VA
www.gwapa.org
You asked for it!
For the record, I would like to remind everyone looking that these pictures stink. Taken with my cell phone of all things! The pics of the male were from when I was relocating him and he was in a "holding cell" for a few minutes. Colors aren't quite like they would be, he's really a gorgeous true marine blue, but you can use your imaginations. Other pics are of random fry, M and F, at about 10 weeks, and a "teenager" blueberry marmelade male I stumbled on at a LFS and snatched up.

Mommies weren't being cooperative to get pics, they're hiding with full mouths of new eggs. :D

And yeah, they're all quite well fed, so no cracks about the fat kids. I grow 'em to be big and strong. LOL.

L-trewavasae_male2sm.jpg

L-trewavasae_male3sm.jpg

L-trewavasae_juvies1sm.jpg

L-trewavasae_male5sm.jpg

L-trewavasae_male1sm.jpg

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
DonkeyFish;2607232; said:
Aw heck. Looking at your last pics again... there sure is a lot of color in those fins... Can be so hard sometimes. Marmelade males are pretty cool, not common at all, would that make you feel better if it turned out to be male?
i will show you my two males later.. i will try to get pics.. one is blue and red and the other is just blue.. i bought this one to breed with my blue and red.. so i was hoping it was female.. but if it isn't he will still be awesome and i will add him to the 125gal with clown knife and severums and big richard.. once he is really big..

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
DonkeyFish;2607574; said:
You asked for it!
For the record, I would like to remind everyone looking that these pictures stink. Taken with my cell phone of all things! The pics of the male were from when I was relocating him and he was in a "holding cell" for a few minutes. Colors aren't quite like they would be, he's really a gorgeous true marine blue, but you can use your imaginations. Other pics are of random fry, M and F, at about 10 weeks, and a "teenager" blueberry marmelade male I stumbled on at a LFS and snatched up.

Mommies weren't being cooperative to get pics, they're hiding with full mouths of new eggs. :D

And yeah, they're all quite well fed, so no cracks about the fat kids. I grow 'em to be big and strong. LOL.
They are beautiful... i love them all... thanks so much..that blue marmalade male is going to be striking as he matures.. you can see it already.. you have to get another camera.. because everyone will enjoy seeing these guys.

DonkeyFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Herndon, VA
www.gwapa.org
Thank you for the kind words.
New camera is on the way, something about the elves taking a vacation at the workshop or reindeer getting held up in bad weather or something... but it's coming!

And if anyone is interested in some L. trewavasae offspring, I've got 'em! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store