Any Idea What Could Have Happened

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
ya, just looks like skin. No stabs or holes. Hoping she heals fast... She is not liking being divided.

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
That looks terrible. Really disappointing i bet. Try and keep a good eye on it making sure it doesn't get infected. Clean water, some salt, and run uvs if you have one. Best of luck.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Sorry couldn't get a decent shot. Been a couple weeks since he got injured and is healing up. Was larger than it is now. I too have diftwood in the tank but presumed it was from the female.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1392085619.958952.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
That looks terrible. Really disappointing i bet. Try and keep a good eye on it making sure it doesn't get infected. Clean water, some salt, and run uvs if you have one. Best of luck.
More worried about her than anything. She seems active and eating a little but until she starts healing and I know she will be ok, I am worried. Have had her a long time. She is healthy and strong, so Im hoping she will pull thru it.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Sorry couldn't get a decent shot. Been a couple weeks since he got injured and is healing up. Was larger than it is now. I too have diftwood in the tank but presumed it was from the female.

Well as much as I like the drift wood in the tank, Im not going to ever put it back in. They have had it in there tank for over a year but now that this happened, Im not taking any more chances in the future.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Well as much as I like the drift wood in the tank, Im not going to ever put it back in. They have had it in there tank for over a year but now that this happened, Im not taking any more chances in the future.
Yep, I removed my driftwood when I seen one of my females crash into it when the male was chasing her. Scraped her pretty good on the head.
I just keep a couple good size rocks and rigid long plastic plants hanging from top.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
That wound ain't from any fish in the tank. There's a huge piece of her missing.

Most wounds heal up on there own I'd add 2-3lbs of salt per 100 gallons for a five day period than start flushing out. Aquarium antibiotics are mostly a waste of time and money although there are a few that a fish will absorb . Try kanaplex or pure kanamycin . Make sure you give her a proper dose. And remove the med with carbon and water changes after and or uv after that's fairly important most people don't .

Get the salt going soon.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
And keep the loaches away from her. Loaches eat rays. They will eat away the tails nibble at wounds when ever and make them worse. I've preached this for years

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
She is divided and away from everyone. I did a water change and added salt not long after I noticed it.
Will be stepping up my water changes for the next few weeks. Now its just a waiting game.
She is still eating but not nearly as much as she usually does. So Im feeding her more times a day but piece by piece till she stops eating.
Never had a problem with my loaches. Had them all together for over 3 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store