Any larger crayfish available in the US?

Barrbar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2015
Long Island New York
I see red claws available everywhere but i'd like to grow out something bigger like Marron (Cherax cainii or tenuimanus) or Murray river cray (Euastacus armatus). I did find one online store that's currently selling Cherax tenuimanus but i'm hesitant due to some unfavorable reviews (http://www.aquatic-store.com).
I'm hoping someone has some info on a seller here in the US or an international seller. I'm also curious if anyone has any favorable comments on the site i listed above.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I would love to get my hands on a Murray cray.

Barrbar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2015
Long Island New York
I would love to get my hands on a Murray cray.
I actually found an old post where you suggested contacting aquascape. ;)
After reading threads here on the species i listed above i see some things that make me pause.
I see a few people mention that Marron are hard or "tricky" to keep. Can anyone chime in?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I actually found an old post where you suggested contacting aquascape. ;)
Yes they used to list several different species but I don't think anyone has ever brought in Murray crays.To me,having one would be almost as great as having a coconut crab.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Barrbar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2015
Long Island New York
I decided to go with Cherax destructor since they are heavy / bulky looking.
I'd also love to get my hands on some coconut crabs (not sure if they are legal to own in the US).
Iucnredlist list them as data deficient.
But i've seen coconut crabs for sale on german sites in the past (was looking for Triops numidicus at the time).

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm not sure about their lagal status either.There have been thread discussions on them here in the past but I don't recall what all was said.

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
Did anyone ever give details on Marron's being "tricky" to keep? It seems to me all crayfish are fairly easy to keep. The only real info I have on Marron cray's is that they are very tolerant of acidic water. I dont really know anything else. Do Murray River Cray's have any interesting habits or are they just big?

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
i am pretty sure Murray crays are protected species. as for coconut bandit, they caught one in florida last year. they are saying it's an escaped pet

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I've spent the better part of the last 10 years and thousands of dollars trying to get permission to allow the export of several giant crays from a research lab from Down Under.

Astacopsis gouldi

tazcray.jpg

Reactions: neoprodigy

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My goodness thats a monster..So,have you made any headway in your endeavor,Oddball?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store