Anyone go coyote hunting?

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
TEEEEEEEEECHNICALLY my friend the state made them the pest...they introduced them here. So humans are still to blame which is the argument I know is coming but in this case I can't be blamed for moving in to their home town lol.
Not really an accurate statement. The state did not introduce them. So again how is you going into a forest make them the pest. There is a difference between them coming into your backyard in a city versus you going to them in a forest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
What the coyote did to my friends dog was, pretend to act friendly, played with his dog, lured his dog as far as it can, then killed and ate his dog. They cause thousands of dollars of damage a year from biting on drip lines, killing his livestock, and the list just goes on.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Not really an accurate statement. The state did not introduce them. So again how is you going into a forest make them the pest. There is a difference between them coming into your backyard in a city versus you going to them in a forest.

Because they are open year round and considered by the state a varmint.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
We don't shoot them. We want them to put a dent in the fawn population. We would much rather have a coyote than crop eating deer. When you have neighbors who have taken 70+ deer in a season of of a relatively small farm I'll take any help we get with population control.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Deer hunting paradise! Does your state give farmers special permits to keep the deer population down out of season?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Deer hunting paradise! Does your state give farmers special permits to keep the deer population down out of season?
We get cheap land owner tags in season and that's it unless you want to harvest the meat from a road kill animal. We have gotten tags and hauled the carcasses out to a spot visible from the house to watch the eagles and coyotes feed on them.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania

I feel as if you misread most of my posts and just went right for the "YOURE THE PEST!" argument that everyone makes. They do come into our backyards. Daily. They take dogs, cats, you name it. Were I live I hunt directly behind my house, at MOST 600 yards into the woods. There are over 1000 acres of state gamelands directly behind my house. There are THOUSANDS of deer in the area. These yotes see an easy meal with house dogs, cats, chickens, whatever. They have plenty of room to stay away from us and vice versa. They don't stay away. Therefore they are a pest and are dealt with on my property and as well into a small fraction of the woodlands around my house. Also, let me apologize for my miscommuncation on introduction of the species. They trap and move them around here where they were a problem. They say they don't but I know for a fact they do lol. The game commission did not move coyotes to the state, but no one knows how they got here. They trap and relocate them from problem areas, to much more rural areas and thus creates the same problem over time for people who live further from the cities. I don't know if you deal with them were you live, but here, they are a problem. They are out of control just like the deer they supposedly help control lol. You can tell me I'm the problem all day long, but until the day you see one of your beloved pets get mauled on your back porch, you won't really see it from both sides.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
What the coyote did to my friends dog was, pretend to act friendly, played with his dog, lured his dog as far as it can, then killed and ate his dog. They cause thousands of dollars of damage a year from biting on drip lines, killing his livestock, and the list just goes on.
thats pretty classic, I've seen that happen with a neighbors doberman, one yote teased it until the dog took off after it, and 2 more jumped it from the treeline across the road. They are one of the most intelligent animals I've ever seen in my life. Like I said, I respect them, I don't go out of my way to wound or poison them, but I will shoot one if its going to be a clean kill.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
This thread is an eye opener, thank you for sharing.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

I don't believe the DNR anymore. Roughly five years ago the first mountain lion was killed in Iowa. The event was brushed off as a freak occurrence and had its moment of fame. He is the news article-
http://archive.desmoinesregister.co...edar-Rapids-hunter-bags-mountain-lion-Marengo

The next year my aunt got this video roughly 20 miles from where the farm and the neighbor who got all the deer live-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uaS08QRzKXE.

Two hours west of where I live they killed this one-
http://m.kcci.com/Police-shoot-mountain-lion-in-back-yard-of-Des-Moines-home/16855062

That summer roughly 15 miles north of where I live there was a yearling steer found 20 feet up in a tree. Anybody want to guess what two predators have the strength to do that that?

This last summer they locked down an elementary school due to a possible sighting.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I don't believe the DNR anymore. Roughly five years ago the first mountain lion was killed in Iowa. The event was brushed off as a freak occurrence and had its moment of fame. He is the news article-
http://archive.desmoinesregister.co...edar-Rapids-hunter-bags-mountain-lion-Marengo

The next year my aunt got this video roughly 20 miles from where the farm and the neighbor who got all the deer live-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uaS08QRzKXE.

Two hours west of where I live they killed this one-
http://m.kcci.com/Police-shoot-mountain-lion-in-back-yard-of-Des-Moines-home/16855062

That summer roughly 15 miles north of where I live there was a yearling steer found 20 feet up in a tree. Anybody want to guess what two predators have the strength to do that that?

This last summer they locked down an elementary school due to a possible sighting.

I'm with you...the scariest part about that is, here, they threw the idea around (for all the people who are going to tell me I'm insane and it didn't happen, this idea was BROUGHT UP, not implemented) of introducing a controlled mountain lion population here to control the coyotes and the deer since coyotes don't seem to be helping as much any longer (how do you control a wild animal population like that...?)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store