Anyone here bow fish?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Bullheads can over run a lake. Suckers have a limit just like bullheads. The natives that are "underutilized" like bowfin, gar, drum, buffalo, bullhead, goldeye, mooneye, carp, and a few others are shootable.

Shooting suckers doesn't mean that your uneducated. People get bent out of shape when we shoot loads of carp. They are invasive here in the states. People often forget that.

Now for example buffalos don't get caught as often because they are filter feeders. They still get caught though. I shoot any native fish available to shoot. Some days I pass on them but I still will shoot them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
If it's a private lake that was stocked with these "nuisance fish" then go ahead and shoot then if the owner doesn't want them or they're overpopulating. But if it's a natural lake that in affect was stocked by itself then no matter how overrun it may seem, nature can manage itself just fine, whether it wants a lake full if bass and channel cats or Johnny darters and Enneacanthus sunfish. And I don't believe in having an unfair advantage on natives, but that's just me as I've said.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
If it's a private lake that was stocked with these "nuisance fish" then go ahead and shoot then if the owner doesn't want them or they're overpopulating. But if it's a natural lake that in affect was stocked by itself then no matter how overrun it may seem, nature can manage itself just fine, whether it wants a lake full if bass and channel cats or Johnny darters and Enneacanthus sunfish. And I don't believe in having an unfair advantage on natives, but that's just me as I've said.
Unfortunately, we have very few roughfish lakes that no one touch or fishing for years and they tends to have winterkills just because there's too many roughfish under the ice then its just a bullhead lake or just a dead lake. I'd rather have a balanced lake than a dead lake.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
you can eat carp. dont let them go to waste. give them to your dogs at least.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
you can eat carp. dont let them go to waste. give them to your dogs at least.
sorry but I refuse to eat carps anymore after I ate my first carp. They do makes a good fertilizer for gardens. I would be more concerned about the Y bones in the carps. One of my dogs nearly got choked on these bones.

Gars, drums, suckers, red horses and bullheads are good to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store