Anyone know a good cave for a small Senegal Bichir?

BichirBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2023
I am looking for a small cave for my bichir, I had been looking at the aquarium co-op place breeding cave(I cant post a link sorry). Does anyone know anything else? Im not against the aquarium co-op one I'm just looking for ideas.
I have a Senegal Bichir about 5-6 inches, 2 bristle nose plecos (they don't try and eat the slime layer of the bichir, I keep a close eye on them) and a blue Acara Cichlid.

The tank is 50 gallons and is mildly planted, has about 1 1/2 inches of planted substrate and decorated with 30lbs of seiryu stone.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How is the stone situated? With enough natural caves it should be able to find a good hiding place vs buying something it may not use.

BichirBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2023
The stone is really just laying against the back wall, I did a really bad job with it so there is really not a lot of room for him to hide.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well the bichir doesn’t really require a hiding spot but a good cheap option is a terracotta flower pot with a piece knocked out or it just laying on its side.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
PVC or ceramic pipes and logs are what I used to provide my bichirs- though I have a small palmas right now that seems dearly fond of squishing himself in half to fit in a 2" diameter square pleco cave, despite many other optimal hiding spots being made available for him.
Tight overhangs, formed by hardscape or plants, seem to be preferred amongst most species.

BichirBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2023
Ok thanks
PVC or ceramic pipes and logs are what I used to provide my bichirs- though I have a small palmas right now that seems dearly fond of squishing himself in half to fit in a 2" diameter square pleco cave, despite many other optimal hiding spots being made available for him.
Tight overhangs, formed by hardscape or plants, seem to be preferred amongst most species.
Ok thanks you I probably will just get the Pleco cave or some PVC

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Ok thanks

Ok thanks you I probably will just get the Pleco cave or some PVC
The problem with the pleco caves (which I should've mentioned in hindsight) is that they're, well, closed off at one end; and in order to enter a bichir has to be small enough to be able to turn around in the back or wiggle in backwards- the former which would mean the cave being rendered obsolete once the bichir grows too large, and the latter being an uncomfortable and unfeasible means of entering. I didn't forsee my palmas actively using the caves, and can see how it might eventually become a problem as he could potentially get stuck, and so I wouldn't really recommend caves much.

BichirBoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2023
The problem with the pleco caves (which I should've mentioned in hindsight) is that they're, well, closed off at one end; and in order to enter a bichir has to be small enough to be able to turn around in the back or wiggle in backwards- the former which would mean the cave being rendered obsolete once the bichir grows too large, and the latter being an uncomfortable and unfeasible means of entering. I didn't forsee my palmas actively using the caves, and can see how it might eventually become a problem as he could potentially get stuck, and so I wouldn't really recommend caves much.
I never thought of that I will just get a PVC because my bichirs is kinda Fat

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store