Anyone know what fish make a bright orange/red bubble nest?

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Yeah, its definitely organic... and it sticks out of the water about a quarter of an inch..so its about a half inch thick all together.. I'm still thinking that its probably an egg mass.. but just curious from what.

So on a related topic, anyone know how long I should leave it if it is eggs to give them a chance to hatch?

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I'm not sure... you can't see it from the bottom.. its fastened to a silk leaf at the water's surface. I took this crappy picture last night too..didnt think it was worth posting.. can't really see anything.. but its that red bar at the top at the surface.

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Need some good pics.

Sent from Note 2 mini computer

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I'm leaning towards what redwolffish suggests. I could be an apple snail egg mass that could not be deposited above the water surface. First, do you have apple snails? If you do, touch the highest point of the nest, ...is it firm or loose foam. Firm would also indicate a snail mass. Also, with no parent guarding the nest then, it's either a snail egg mass or the eggs are not viable. There are zero anabantoids that I know of that produce anything other than a white foamy bubble nest. Even in water with heavy organics.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
It can't be snails, there are none in the tank. I also can't touch it.. its about 3 feet away from my outstretched arms so I would have to use an extension pole and I'm afraid to damage it if its eggs.

I googled fish eggs and the consensus seems to be 3-9 days for them to hatch. So I'm just going to monitor it for a week. If it starts to look like it is rotting or anything I'll net it up.. otherwise I'll wait. It looks the same as it did 3-4 days ago.

Do live bearers make any sort of nest? I have a boat load of mollies and platies in the tank too..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store