Anyone on mfk have bred Marble Motoro Sting Rays?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Thanks for the input everybody looks great, I guess "F1" means fresh bloodlines or something I dk...

Marble with pearl? What does that look like toby any pics?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
F1 refers to how far removed from the wild they are.. so F1 or Fry1 helps me remeber it.. is the parents are wild caught... f2 is they are fry from F1 specimins... usually f1's have nicer patterns ect then f2.. but not always.. you hear the term used alot in cichlid breeding and now rays.

Personally if Marbles are what you want to keep.. just KIT with the guys here that are breeding them.. and when your ready let it be known your looking. I won't have my indoor pond done until this coming summer realistically so i started research awhile back when i got my first retics ( before actually but like you doing the research before buying) but when your spending a few hundred dollars on an animal and much more on a set-up to house one.. Its good to talk to people who have kept and/or bred them for years to understand what you will need to house them. not just people who have managed to keep them alive a few monthes. as you've found they will help you from start to finish with your set-up questions.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
F1 refers to how far removed from the wild they are.. so F1 or Fry1 helps me remeber it.. is the parents are wild caught... f2 is they are fry from F1 specimins... usually f1's have nicer patterns ect then f2.. but not always.. you hear the term used alot in cichlid breeding and now rays.

Personally if Marbles are what you want to keep.. just KIT with the guys here that are breeding them.. and when your ready let it be known your looking. I won't have my indoor pond done until this coming summer realistically so i started research awhile back when i got my first retics ( before actually but like you doing the research before buying) but when your spending a few hundred dollars on an animal and much more on a set-up to house one.. Its good to talk to people who have kept and/or bred them for years to understand what you will need to house them. not just people who have managed to keep them alive a few monthes. as you've found they will help you from start to finish with your set-up questions.
Hey thanks for the info, I really like marble not just for the color but I could better house them in a width of 36 inches as I can't push for the 48 inch write now...heard that marbles tend to grow to a smaller size then the normal motoros.
Defiantly will continue doing research lol, Defintly not going to rush into it....as I would hate to start a thread after a few months of keeping one saying "My ray died"...would hate that feeling.

Thanks for your input on f1 and so on...incase anyone looking for (pretty sure thier f1) marble adults thier are usually some on aquascape and they always looks impressive! Thats where I plan on getting a mature marble (as I would like to stay away from pups for the beginning as they tend to be finicky and more delicate). Of coarse I will always be browsing thru the threads and members who genrally breed rays for tips and possible purchases.

Thanks Again for everyone's input

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
You might be mislead if you think that WC are easier to care for then CB pups.

IF you're looking at WC look into the disease part. You're your own vet. IF they take a turn for the worst you can't rely on the internet for help. It happens too fast sometimes. Replies don't happen right away and there's often conflicting info. By the time it's sorted out it may be too late. You need to have meds on hand, IF ordered they take too long to receive. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but ask around, WC Marbles aren't fun to deal with. Nobody is gonna take the time/headache to properly QT. IF you believe the people selling them to you that they are QT'd it could be an accident waiting to happen. Have meds and have lots of room in case seperation is needed. Might only eat crawlers or sometimes only blackworms, maybe for days, maybe months. Might not take much stress at all to get them to quit eating. Not trying to scare you, but I speak from experience.

I'd strongly recommend long term captive from a hobbyist or CB over WC/freshly imported, or new to captivity.

The whole F1 being nicer then F2 might hold true in the Cichlid world for them, but in the ray world many of us couldn't think that to be further from the truth. More generations CB the more desirable they seem to be and the crazier the patterns get. Look at WC BD VS F2 BD. Same with the P14s, Same with the Marbles.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
You might be mislead if you think that WC are easier to care for then CB pups.

IF you're looking at WC look into the disease part. You're your own vet. IF they take a turn for the worst you can't rely on the internet for help. It happens too fast sometimes. Replies don't happen right away and there's often conflicting info. By the time it's sorted out it may be too late. You need to have meds on hand, IF ordered they take too long to receive. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but ask around, WC Marbles aren't fun to deal with. Nobody is gonna take the time/headache to properly QT. IF you believe the people selling them to you that they are QT'd it could be an accident waiting to happen. Have meds and have lots of room in case seperation is needed. Might only eat crawlers or sometimes only blackworms, maybe for days, maybe months. Might not take much stress at all to get them to quit eating. Not trying to scare you, but I speak from experience.

I'd strongly recommend long term captive from a hobbyist or CB over WC/freshly imported, or new to captivity.

The whole F1 being nicer then F2 might hold true in the Cichlid world for them, but in the ray world many of us couldn't think that to be further from the truth. More generations CB the more desirable they seem to be and the crazier the patterns get. Look at WC BD VS F2 BD. Same with the P14s, Same with the Marbles.
Thanks for clearing that for me, actually now that I think about it I kept looking at aquascape because they seem to be the only vendors that usually gets in mature adult rays as I read that it's better to start with an older ray.

Of coarse captive bred is way better as they have lived in aquarium conditions and of coarse disease free...however I'm having difficulties finding larger captive bred rays. I notice numerous members sell pups normally. Also Id like to start larger because I think it better helps find compatible tank mates...

Thanks for the input DB and I understand your concern I will look out more for a definte captive bred ray if I can't find mature captive bred rays (have time but can't hurt looking lol) I will no dobt about it take in a smaller ray as long as it's captive bred. Thanks again for your input

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Keep your eyes peeled in the selling forum, and when you are ready ask around the forum. Larger rays pop up all the time.

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
"stumpy the stingray" was a cb marble pup this year. shes doing well and i would like to know if there are any other "non lethal" (stingless) rays out there. if your getting a ray i would say the biggest problem is getting them eating a good food source properly. captive bread are usually less of a problem regarding feeding which is where most people have problems with rays and where most people experience difficulty ( ie death ) .

good luck ! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store