Anyone own this arowana species?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Nope, they're an Asian species, Scleropages inscriptus, so you won't be importing one to the US any time soon.
http://fishbase.org/summary/Scleropages-inscriptus.html

Fantastic looking fish, I'm sure they'll become more widely available in years to come. I seem to recall Koji or one of the Asian vendors posting pics of one?
Just because it is Scleropages doesn't automatically mean it can't come here. (see Jardini). Is this fish on the CITES list? No, it isn't. It is not on the IUCN list because it hasn't been evaluated. Many unevaluated fish are brought here. It might end up there, but it isn't currently. I better jump on getting one while I can! :ROFL:

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Just because it is Scleropages doesn't automatically mean it can't come here. (see Jardini). Is this fish on the CITES list? No, it isn't. It is not on the IUCN list because it hasn't been evaluated.
Interesting, CITES still list S. formosus as the only species of Asian arowana. I'm guessing they don't acknowledge S. aureus, S. legendari and S. macrocephalus as distinct species, but it would seem that this new species is not as contentious as those three, and if it is not considered a synonym of S. formosus you may have found your loophole to get at least one Asian arowana into the US!

Archer1X

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2013
Astral Plane
This species is called as Pearl Batik Arowana in my place. I've seen one of them in LFS near the place I'm living right now..

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
This species is called as Pearl Batik Arowana in my place. I've seen one of them in LFS near the place I'm living right now..
What was the price tag out of interest? I'm guessing you're somewhere in Asia, Singapore or Malaysia?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Just because it is Scleropages doesn't automatically mean it can't come here. (see Jardini). Is this fish on the CITES list? No, it isn't. It is not on the IUCN list because it hasn't been evaluated. Many unevaluated fish are brought here. It might end up there, but it isn't currently. I better jump on getting one while I can! :ROFL:
Don't get your hopes up on that, hoss. ;)

scleropages.jpg

Got that from the FWS website. :p

scleropages.jpg

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
Gets posted in here once every 2 months.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JungleJim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2011
Caiifornia
I think this is called as Batik Arowana... Not sure though. As far as I rem this a Jardini. I may be wrong :):D
This particular fish is called a Batik, Nami, or Merlion but whichever you call it, its strain of green- but you are right in saying that there is a jardini batik as well, this one just isnt one of them

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
This particular fish is called a Batik, Nami, or Merlion but whichever you call it, its strain of green- but you are right in saying that there is a jardini batik as well, this one just isnt one of them

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Actually Batik is from Myanmar, while Nami is from Malaysia. So those two are caught from two different locations. They could be the same species but from different location but there isn't much research done yet. They are also being classified as different species, not the same as a Green. As for MerLion, I believe it's farm in Singapore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store