Apartments

Katatonic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2011
toronto, Ontario, CA
Wow - dont know where you guys rented... but aquariums are permitted and anything within reason acceptable here... Of course no knocking out walls and such...

IT IS NOT ANY OF YOUR LANDLORDS BIZ WHAT YOU DO IN THE PRIVACY OF YOUR HOME. The only time he/she may interfere is if your actions are disturbing others and causing risk... like with a violent barking dog... or you choose to not clean up after your pets and the smell has overpowered the hallways...(yuk) ... As for fishtanks - They dont care, its for the most part a self contained quiet non obtrusive hobby.. If your all spilly with water and damaging property that might piss em off.

I do believe the weight ratio is like 8 pounds per gallon. Do your tanks weigh more than the fridge and stove stacked together? The answer is, probably not.
if you are renting an apartment in someones private home its a little different - their house their rules, but I assume we are talking about a residential complex...
here's what you need to worry about - How old is the building? and, what are the faucets like? Quality of tap water? Oh and are you metered for hydro individually or is it all inclusive in your rent?
the age of the building will be a good indication of the floor supports ... no matter what floor you live on. ...
are there stairs or elevators?, narrow hallways?
Are the floors a creaky with rickety wood, can you hear the people bellow you? --- you probably should not have rented there at all...

none the less - if its a condo and you pay condo fees.. or you rent in an apartment complex... the rule of thumb is, you break it you buy it... if you are the cause of some destruction to the buildings integrity - be prepared to pay for the repairs... and if you want to move out - you better put the apartment back to the way it looked when you moved in.

GET RENTERS INSURANCE! my god it was the most brilliant thing I did - my coverage took care of everything, from fire to flood. Theft, vandalism you name it if anything happened to my home, the contents in it, at my hand, or at my guests hand... it woudl be covered to a huge extent...

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; The weight of water is about eight and one half pounds per gallon. To that must be added the weight of the tank, stand, substrate and other associated bits. I tend to use an average of ten pounds per gallon for smaller tanks and twelve or more pounds per gallon for the bigger tanks. Landlords, renters agreements and insurance policies are not standard/ uniform in my experience. Some places do not allow pets of any kind while others do. It may be prudent to check the exclusions in a renters insurance policy to be sure of what is and is not covered.

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
renters insurance covers flood and water damage if you ask for the option which wont run you much more a year. Most places that say no pets just means dogs and cats.

brigri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
VT
I would think that as long as the landlord wasnt paying the light bill and you didnt have all the tanks in one room it shouldnt be a problem. I have 5 tanks in a house i rent and pay my own light bill with no problems and mine are much larger than yours.(180, 125, 75, 65)

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I would think that as long as the landlord wasnt paying the light bill and you didnt have all the tanks in one room it shouldnt be a problem. I have 5 tanks in a house i rent and pay my own light bill with no problems and mine are much larger than yours.(180, 125, 75, 65)
Hello; My take on the subject of the thread is not about who pays the electric bill, but more about issues with keeping a fairly large number of tanks in someone elses apartment. I have rented where I paid all the utilities and where they were included in the rent. I have also rented where I could have no pets at all including fish and in places where I could have only one tank. I rented a house where the landlord did not mind my tanks, but I kept them to the smaller sizes and only a few.

You are indeed fortunate to have an understanding landlord.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Up to now I have always rented houses with other people and have never run into issues with number of tanks. Now dogs and cats is another story. The apt. is fine with the fish. I will definitely have renters insurance. I just don't want anyone underneath me waking up to an aquarium in their room.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Up to now I have always rented houses with other people and have never run into issues with number of tanks. Now dogs and cats is another story. The apt. is fine with the fish. I will definitely have renters insurance. I just don't want anyone underneath me waking up to an aquarium in their room.
Hello; This question about the structural capacity comes up often in threads on this forum. Some members will likely tell you that it is not a problem and to go ahead, at least they have in other threads in the past. I do not know how this is determined without being there looking at the actual structure. I do not recall if I posted some pretty decent web addresses about the subject in this thread, but will if you wish. As near as I can tell there is not any simple way to determine the load capacity of a particular building, at least sight unseen. You will have furniture, appliances and the normal stuff in the apartment in addition to the tanks. Figgure around ten pounds per gallon for the tanks. You are wise to be looking in to this ahead of time. Sorry to be of so little actual help.

Jay88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
Australia
I live in an apartment to...mate just get ONE big tank....keep all your fish...all those tanks really risky in apartments.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I can't do ONE big tank. Like many members of this forum most of my fish are not compatible.
Skjl47 could you please post those links? Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store