Api filstar xp xl or Hydor 600 canister filters

Chadster72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
I really wanted an fx6 or the 2262 but with the shipping and extra media it gets expensive.

What do you guys think about going with the cheaper api filstar xp xl or the Hydor 600, anyone care to share their experiences with either of these two less expensive canisters. thanks
Finally got the hydor 600. After 2 weeks. Good to go. Runs great. I like the filtration setup. No leaks. Simple. 99.7 gallon tank.

Chadster72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
Still running the h600. Water is clean. Discuss are gorgeous. They are lil guys so doing 2 gallon water changes 5 times a day approximately is still necessary. Alternating currents at 1250 gph seems too work really well. 20170910_221653.jpg

Chadster72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
Liked the canister style enough that my kid and I built a new tank today. 35 g. Hexagonal. 500gph current. H 250. Gonna add a penguin 150 on top. Still like a biowheel. 20170911_223649.jpg

dalto

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2017
Since this thread has turned into a Hydor canister review thread I thought I would share my experiences as well.

I bought a Hydor Professional canister a couple of years ago for a small tank I wanted a quieter alternative to an HOB since it was a couple feet from my sitting position. As soon as a I took it out of the box I was a little concerned about how cheap it felt. I had used canisters from many other manufacturers and I had never felt one so insubstantial. When I was installing the output, the plastic cracked. Keep in mind, I am not a heavy handed person and I was applying very little pressure.

They used obvious sub-par quality plastic components. When you read the reviews, look at how many of the reviewers had the canisters get broken in shipping. While shipping damage happens, it shouldn't cause broken canisters as a common occurrence.

Given the risks involved with the nature of canister filters, it is usually not the place I try to save money. However, if I did want to buy a canister on a budget, I think there are better alternatives for similar money.

Reactions: Chadster72

Chadster72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
Since this thread has turned into a Hydor canister review thread I thought I would share my experiences as well.

I bought a Hydor Professional canister a couple of years ago for a small tank I wanted a quieter alternative to an HOB since it was a couple feet from my sitting position. As soon as a I took it out of the box I was a little concerned about how cheap it felt. I had used canisters from many other manufacturers and I had never felt one so insubstantial. When I was installing the output, the plastic cracked. Keep in mind, I am not a heavy handed person and I was applying very little pressure.

They used obvious sub-par quality plastic components. When you read the reviews, look at how many of the reviewers had the canisters get broken in shipping. While shipping damage happens, it shouldn't cause broken canisters as a common occurrence.

Given the risks involved with the nature of canister filters, it is usually not the place I try to save money. However, if I did want to buy a canister on a budget, I think there are better alternatives for similar money.
Glad too hear an honest opinion. Sorry about this being a review, I am new to any site and had so many different perspectives on line. I signed up for a blog way over my internet brain. Now I call em canister filters. Still learning the lingo. Lol. I will definitely tell ya how this one works after awhile

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store