API Nitrate Test Question

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Do you guys trust the expiration date on the API test? I've had mine for two years and the expiration date is in 2017. I don't check my parameters very often as I keep up with my water changes. Just for the heck of it I tested it today and I'm showing 0 Nitrates. Even though it's a tank that's been established for years I had to check Ammonia and Nitrite to be sure and they were 0 as well. I've been doing two 60-70% WC's a week but I'm also power feeding, so something doesn't seem right. Last WC I did was on Monday. I've had 4 feedings since then. The bio-load isn't overly large since most of my fish are 7" and under (125g) but I would have thought some Nitrates would show up. I introduced live plants a couple of weeks ago but I have not seen any growth so I don't think that it's.

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Its not the tube its the bottle of test solution 2. It crystallizes at the bottom of the bottle so you need to shake the ever loving crap out if it.

Even better slam it on the countertop a few times to break it loose.

When you are counting the drops the drops should look cloudy or grainy or you need to shake more

Or yes you will get false nitrate readings

signature
-----------------------------------------------------------

"And if I can't have everything, well then just give me a taste"

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Maybe try another test kit.

I too find it hard to believe in 0 nitrate in a fishkeeping system 3 days after WC.

Strap bottle 2 to a paint can at walmart and turn on the shaker
Lol

signature

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Well that was the issue. I shook it hard for a minute the first time, but it wasn't long enough. I shook it for three minutes this time, then gave it to my kids to shake. I'm showing around 20 Nitrates now. I'm going to make a note on the card to shake for 5 minutes....

jstehman

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Omaha, NE
Skittles +children+api bottle 2 = ready to test

Glad you got it sorted out

signature

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com