aquarium powered generator?

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Dr Joe;1375660; said:
Where's my other engineering buddies here???

HEY CHOMPERS! You still the Grand Poobah of that Engineering daycare center? :D

Dr Joe

We took a vote and me, myself, and I decided to stay out of this one. It is interesting to see what creative minds can do :)

And I'm not the Grand Poobah anymore. The torch has been passed.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Aw..I was depending on you for torque multiplication :D !

I smell Thesis, huh...huh? :ROFL:. Maybe off the bio-wheel? huh?

HydroReefSapper

Feeder Fish
Apr 5, 2023
An inline hydro turbine, if designed correctly, and used in succession with some sort of venturi device to increase the flow rate before the turbine could bring you closer to achieving 99% energy recovery.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonardo_CH

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Interesting thread resurrection here. I read through the whole thing before i realized how old it was. I wonder if 16 years of innovation have made any of this more possible.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
I love this thread! What everyone above missed is, you’re not pumping water up to make energy! You’re pumping water up to keep your fish alive, so might as well get the added benefit of the water falling back down. And yes, hopefully 16 years later, there’s something new that can be achieved. Thanks H HydroReefSapper for bumping this. I’m following

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
This was silly in 2007 and is still silly in 2023. I get that the OP wasn't trying to create perpetual motion, but rather just trying to "get back" some of the energy that was being expended in the pumping of the water. The problem is that the only way this can possibly make sense is if the energy generated pays for the hardware required. The cost of the hardware would never be recouped by the pie-in-the-sky dream of generated electricity produced by a trickle of water dropping down a couple of feet; can't forget about maintenance either. Even if a 100%-efficient waste-free method of collecting and utilizing all the energy in the falling water existed...and it does not!...it won't be free to set up and operate. Theory always seems to smash headlong into practicality and the results are never cheap or pretty.

There's a big difference between actually being "green"...and simply making it look like you are "green" so as to delude yourself and others.

Physics versus optics.

Reactions: Leonardo_CH
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store