Aquarium reseal? or Complete tear down?

Haasume

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2018
Kansas
How do you if an aquarium need "simply" a full reseal or it needs to be completely disassembled ( glass apart ) and re siliconed completely?
I am buying a 220 gallon off craigslist which is roughly and hour away. The sellers have been upfront and said it had a leak which is why I am getting it for a smoking deal. I have resealed aquariums up to 150 gallon before but they were not leaking before the reseal.
What should I look for when I meet them to know which type of fix it need?
Is a complete aquarium break down that much more difficult than a reseal?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I’ve done both. Do you know roughly how old the tank is? If it’s pretty old I would take apart and reassemble.
What I would do if the tank is in good condition is check the silicone in the seams between the glass. Fill the tank in a safe stable location and look at the silicone in the seams if it’s white or opaque then it’s lost it’s holding power in that location.
If the seams are good I would just do a reseal.
If they are bad then take apart and reassemble.

Reactions: tlindsey

Haasume

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2018
Kansas
I am going to see the aquarium this weekend so I don't know much about it unfortunately. I'm not going to lie. Disassembling a 220 gallon is a bit intimidating to me. Is there a post on this site that explains the procedures of disassembly?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am going to see the aquarium this weekend so I don't know much about it unfortunately. I'm not going to lie. Disassembling a 220 gallon is a bit intimidating to me. Is there a post on this site that explains the procedures of disassembly?

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
IMO anytime you are dealing with a larger aquarium (anything over 125g) then it should be taken completely apart and both butt joint & fillet seals redone completely. Main reason is because on a large tank there is a lot of pressure on the seams and just doing the inner fillet seal doesn't do a whole lot to seal it. I personally found that out the hard way on my old 7ft 265g leaker. I redid the inner fillet seam twice (very properly done as well) but it still ended up leaking a month later. So now on larger tanks I always suggest a complete tear down and re-siliconing to avoid any issue.

Reactions: tlindsey

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I hope I don't sound like a wimp, but with a tank that huge I'd take it to a local Glass company and have a craftsman break it down then reconstuct. That project is going to take a lot of space and specialized tools to get it done.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
It’s a little work to take apart but nothing that can’t done.
The only tools you may need other than razor blades are some suction cup type handles to make moving the glass easier and a helper when you start to reassemble, it’s not a big deal.
It’s harder to get the tank apart then put together.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store