Aquascaping for bihirs/ropes

jdryden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
Bentonville, Arkansas
I will probably be picking up my 100L tomorrow and wanted some suggestions for aquascaping it. It is going to be primarily a bichir tank, with maybe an african knife or some leaf fish thrown in the mix. I'm sticking with upper jaw species for now. Originally I had thought about getting an african animal skull as a centerpiece, but am not sure if I want to still go that route. I was figuring some fake or low light plants and caves out of pvc and rock. Any suggestions? My goal is to make it aesthetically pleasing, and the bichirs comfortable enough to be active.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Tank set up
Bichirs are low light loving fish as many are nocturnal and some dinural . The tank
needs a secure top or lid with any opening plugged as some species are escape
artists and others can jump well.The water level needs to be 2-3 inches below normal
as bichirs need to breathe air from time to time. The substrate should be sand or finely
crushed gravel. driftwood with short bushy plants.attached or anchored under it.
In general I find it hard to have live plants as bichirs tend to uproot them searching
for food, floating plants are a good option though ,I silicone silk plants to nylon needlepoint
canvas and bury it in the substrate in one square foot sections makes it easier to
remove to clean and rebury in the substrate. One last point no sharp edges
bichirs tend to move close to things and sharp edges remove slimecoat.
Plant suggestions.
Bolbitis heudelotii , Anubias, Vallisneria, Eleocharis.-Anne

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
I would go with some white sand,driftwood, real plants and a mixture of pea gravel in their.

RTCatz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2006
los angeles
if your keeping dels in particular make sure they can hide under something...mine loves to hide in fake plants

Kohaku

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2007
Fish World
I keep my bichirs in a tank with 3 side covered with oyama paper, to reduce light. I also place some flat driftwood or bogwood for then as cover.

If you can find thick PVC pipes at any hardware stores, if would be good also. Cut each PVC pipes to the length about 45cm long and clean them before placing them into your tank.

Hope this info helps.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
I added PVC pipes to one of my tanks the bichirs sat on top of them,beside them,anywhere but in them lol miserable fish-Anne

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
honestly, once a bichir reaches a decent size, it doesn't usually care much more hiding. It always like a shady spot, though.

Merbeast

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.thinking-man.net
Only my ornate likes to hide, everyone else hangs out in the open. I have driftwood and pea gravel with amazon swords and java fern. The bichers hang out in the open usually, or on top of driftwood. Occasionally they hang out under the swords or under the driftwood. The Sengalis like to hang out under the fluval clips on the back of the tank just under the rim.

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
does anybody elses rest on plants/wood w/ just the tip of the tail. i keep trying to get a picture because i think its friggin hilarious. they just sit there sticking straight out.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
You're on the right path, but be careful with adding rock, especially lace rock and what not.

I want to add some to my setup, but bichirs can be so darn clumbsy especially after gulping a breath and dashing back towards the bottom of the tank.

New bichirs always bump their heads on the DW in my tank, so I'm worried about them damaging themselves if I were to introduce lace rock.

I agree with Anne, Onion, and Merbeast. Once the bichirs are a decent size, they don't care to hide. All they need is a small spot to duck their heads under some shade in case they feel a little nervous for whatever reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store