HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I am planning on converting my 220 gal into a :turtle: :tropicalf tank next year and I am in the process of doing my homework :) . Certainly, there are inherent dangers in keeping these animals together in a tank, and I am still undecided if I will go for cheap, small fish (e.g. Danio) or local larger fish (bass). The turtles might be of the genus Graptemys (sawback/map turtles).

Parallel to these thoughts, I am contemplating the set-up: Fake rock column to bask, or tons of cork bark. Are regular heaters okay, or should I protect them with PVC pipe? How do I make sure that :turtle: and :tropicalf share their food? Feed :turtle: on their basking spot? That wouldn't be a problem with Danios but with bass.

Last but not least, I will need a UV lamp. Any recommendations (brand/set-up/hours per day)?

How many saw backs can I house in a 220 gal? I was thinking 2.

Thanks a bunch,

HarleyK

lovespunaround

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
Spartanburg, SC
I can't answer all of your questions, but most aquatic turtles (including map turtles) can only eat in the water. They open their mouths quickly and rely on the force of the water rushing in to help them swallow.

So that's something to think about I guess when deciding what kind of fish to keep.

garman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
i have a red eared slider and a painted turtle in a 55 the have a waterfall and a baskign spot kind like step stone one like th eone higher up that the other i will post a pic when i get home but its a combination on the turtle dock which you can find online and bick salte rocks and a fileter that is built into a log made my tetra with bass and turtles they should both eat pellets easy and might fight for food but both will get feed the only problem with the bass is that ive seen bass bite turtles legs off in the wild i have 2 comet goldys with my turtle they do fine ive had bass and bluegills in the past and they were fine i the light that came with the tank but a uv light or heat lamp wouldnt hurt and hiding the heater or protecting it would be good because with the turtles hard shell they would break it easily and i have two turtles about 8-10 inch shells in a 55 the have alot fo room to swim and bask and are healty and their colors are bright most people keep one in about a 40 long so in a 220 4 turtles seems like it would be good

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
why not get an frt or mata mata to go fully aquatic? just a thought....

paul112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2006
United Kingdom
garman;514738; said:
i have two turtles about 8-10 inch shells in a 55 the have alot fo room to swim and bask and are healty and their colors are bright most people keep one in about a 40 long so in a 220 4 turtles seems like it would be good
Jeez you people! The rule for aquatics and semi-aquatics is 10G (40L) for every INCH of turtle. That tank is severly overcrowded. Sure, a couple of turtles would be good in a 220G, but turtles are not sociable animals. They don't need to be in a pack and this can lead to aggression. If your interested in turtles, get of a fish website, and get on www.turtletimes.com. Have a look on the forum for the most information.
And generally, turtles+fish=fed turtle. Danios are fast enough to survive usually, but don't get too attached. For UV lighting, try the reptiglo 5, with 5% UVB.
Paul:headbang2

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
had to break down this quote ;)

HarleyK;514570; said:
Howdy,

I am planning on converting my 220 gal into a :turtle: :tropicalf tank next year and I am in the process of doing my homework :) . Certainly, there are inherent dangers in keeping these animals together in a tank, and I am still undecided if I will go for cheap, small fish (e.g. Danio) or local larger fish (bass). The turtles might be of the genus Graptemys (sawback/map turtles).
that will be quite an intersting set-up :naughty:

HarleyK;514570; said:
Parallel to these thoughts, I am contemplating the set-up: Fake rock column to bask, or tons of cork bark. Are regular heaters okay, or should I protect them with PVC pipe? How do I make sure that :turtle: and :tropicalf share their food? Feed :turtle: on their basking spot? That wouldn't be a problem with Danios but with bass.
I like the cork bark idea, but you will have to fasten it to the wall of the tank with suction cups, otherwise the turtle will be fumbling to get aboard.

another idea would be to create a basking spot out of drift wood semi submurged, that way your turtles have access to dry land and uderwater your fish have a refuge of thick branches inpeneratrable to the turtles should they ever try catch them, but if you do decide to do this, get a power head under there, or you will have dead spaces on your hands.

HarleyK;514570; said:
Last but not least, I will need a UV lamp. Any recommendations (brand/set-up/hours per day)?

How many saw backs can I house in a 220 gal? I was thinking 2.

HarleyK
try this: Active UV heat bulb

ive heard many good things about this bulb. Its both Heat and UVB/UVA lighting on one. Very impressive, i trust T-rex products.

two saw backs sounds good to me :thumbsup:

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Thanks for the great replies and links :thumbsup:

Gr8KarmaSF;514774; said:
why not get an frt or mata mata to go fully aquatic? just a thought....
$$$ ...

paul112;515118; said:
Sure, a couple of turtles would be good in a 220G, but turtles are not sociable animals.
But I am a sociable hobbyist :D 220 gal for a single 10' turtle?! Seems to me like the use of space and volume needs to be optimized :naughty: Furthermore, when I go canoeing, I see them sitting on top of each other on basking spots. Some seem to love company.

paul112;515118; said:
And generally, turtles+fish=fed turtle. Danios are fast enough to survive usually, but don't get too attached.
An occasional loss is not a tragedy... ;)
BTW: Paul, what animals do you keep?

DeLgAdO;515131; said:
another idea would be to create a basking spot out of drift wood semi submurged, that way your turtles have access to dry land and uderwater your fish have a refuge of thick branches inpeneratrable to the turtles should they ever try catch them
Del, I was thinking the same. But then I thought that I may want to remove the basking spot every once in a while to clean it from turtle feces and scrub it down. No clue if they actually poop underwater or on dry land or both :confused: Anyhow, cork bark seems to be easier to handle, but I will definitely keep that idea in mind if a suitable piece of driftwood comes my way on my next canoeing trip :D

garman;514738; said:
i will post a pic when i get home
bring it on :thumbsup:

Thanks,
HarleyK

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
paul112;515118; said:
Jeez you people! The rule for aquatics and semi-aquatics is 10G (40L) for every INCH of turtle. That tank is severly overcrowded. Sure, a couple of turtles would be good in a 220G, but turtles are not sociable animals. They don't need to be in a pack and this can lead to aggression. If your interested in turtles, get of a fish website, and get on www.turtletimes.com. Have a look on the forum for the most information.
And generally, turtles+fish=fed turtle. Danios are fast enough to survive usually, but don't get too attached. For UV lighting, try the reptiglo 5, with 5% UVB.
Paul:headbang2

This forum really has me spoiled! The turtletimes site seems to care more about basking ramps than water quality. One old thread from 2001, q persom uses a HOB and the other bought a W/D (that he said are only used for saltwater), no pics. Very disappointing. Two long threads on naming your turtle tho...

Man I Love this site MFK Rules :headbang2

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store