AR 15 owners need your advice

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
i think its funny how racking the action is supposed to scare away the bad guy. you do not want to alert him/her that you are coming to find them in your home, nor you do want to be face to face and then have to rack a shell. some idiot criminal could hear that from the next room over, and say take your child hostage, or be ready for a fire fight before you enter the room. face to face he could hit,stab, throw something at you etc... causing you to lose your shotty or you life.

whatever you use be ready for action ahead of time and quietly, theres so much more to home defence than owning a gun.

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
Yup, I suggested getting two guns, bolt for target, handgun for home. Wouldn't cost more, and OP would have a gun that would be good for both his uses instead of one that wouldn't excel at either. All of this is in vain if he just wants an AR which I also understand but I just wanted to express my opinion that it isn't good for either use.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
leather;5054437; said:
This is what I consider target shooting. This is the first of my rifle builds. It is a target savage action, shilen barrel, caliber is 6.5x284. Also a picture of one of it's first groups, a 5 shot 100 yard group shot while working on a load for it. I built this rifle for $950, not including the scope.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...nt.php?attachmentid=605217&stc=1&d=1302961285
What powder and bullet are you using? I have been using 142gr Match kings over 48gr H4831SC. I have some 139 Lapua SC but have yet to fully work that load to desired accuracy.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
dmopar74;5054767; said:
i think its funny how racking the action is supposed to scare away the bad guy. you do not want to alert him/her that you are coming to find them in your home, nor you do want to be face to face and then have to rack a shell. some idiot criminal could hear that from the next room over, and say take your child hostage, or be ready for a fire fight before you enter the room. face to face he could hit,stab, throw something at you etc... causing you to lose your shotty or you life.

whatever you use be ready for action ahead of time and quietly, theres so much more to home defence than owning a gun.
Best post yet about all of that stuff :headbang2

Caoboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Modesto CA
J.Lake;5054665; said:
What kind of person has the testicular power to break into a americans home? I cant even belive it stills happen. Im no criminal but I dont think I would choose break and enter as a money making plan. Imnot into staring down the barrels of shotties or ars or aks. The cilvillains seem to have better firepower than the cops
You'd be surprised at how restricted places like California and New York are when it comes to firearms.

You guys up north have crime problems as well, quite a few in some places that have involved firearms too! (so I've read)

Just remember, firearms laws only take firearms out of the hands of the good guys, criminals don't care and still get access to them.

You should get involved in a rimfire shooting club. I'm pretty sure they still have those up north. It's a fun hobby!

Caoboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Modesto CA
dmopar74;5054767; said:

That is true..I said it in more of a jest than seriousness..

Caoboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Modesto CA
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;5054641; said:
wait ur in cali! its it illegal for you to even think about guns? lol.

sry couldnt resist
Only the ones that are fun, you know... AR15's with certain names, pistols that are supposedly unsafe but LEO's can walk in and purchase the same day, etc...the laws are pretty lame here especially when we can get around most of the restrictions legally...:headbang2

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
beex215;5054657; said:
person who suggested a bolt over a shotgun. bolts are generally longer than the hd shotguns 22+ in barrel vs the 16-18 in shotgun barrel. for one i think thats gonna be more clumsy. dont forget the bolt itself. bolts are long guns
While I know the intention of the poster was not to suggest this I have 2 cents to put in. A bolt action rifle can in fact be a superb SD weapon. I actually have a Mosin M-44 rifle which I have set up for just that. The ammo in use though is not your standard 147 grain FMJ.. Nope it is a 48gr round ball. It is subsonic,No recoil, hard hitting and has excellent penetration at close range. The M44 (or M38 for that matter) is also a very light, easy to handle and maneuver rifle. Everything about Self defense is your training and your familiarization with a given firearm.

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
Pejelajarto;5054817; said:
What powder and bullet are you using? I have been using 142gr Match kings over 48gr H4831SC. I have some 139 Lapua SC but have yet to fully work that load to desired accuracy.
Those are 139 gr scenars, loaded with h4831. I don't remember the exact charge I'd have to look in my ammo box but wouldn't feel comfortable posting it anyway (might be a little on the hot side :D) . I have found 140 gr hornady sst to work good with h4831 in my other 6.5x284. H4831 is one of my favorite powders. I use it with wonderful results in my 6mm rem., 6.5 creedmore, 260 rem, 6.5 WSM, 7mm weatherby, 7x300 weatherby, and 300 WSM.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store