arapaima info

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
why pick on people, grow up and leave others alone. in fact if you don't leave me alone i will report you to the site admin for harassment.
Welcome to MFK, you'll have to forgive people for being a bit sceptical of anyone who signs up and starts talking about building/owning ridiculously large ponds for arapaima as 99% of the time they are 12 year old kids talking BS or dreaming of what they would do if they won the lottery.

It sounds like a very interesting [and ambitious!] plan and I wish you all the best. With regards to your motivation for breeding them, have you looked into the logistics and legalities of exporting them back to Brasil to "help declining stocks"? I imagine there would be a lot of hoops to jump through to make something like that happen, you can't just send them a box of fish to release into the Amazon. Also given the huge requirements for housing them, there is [or should be] a very limited demand for them in the aquarium trade. My 2c if you're interested in breeding a large South American bonytongue would be to set up a pool for a large group of black arowana, you've got a far higher chance of success IMO and you'll have no shortage of buyers for the offspring.

Regardless, keep us updated with your progress, there are plenty of knowledgeable folk here with experience setting up big tanks/ponds, and we're all looking forward to seeing the little pima grow!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Wow, David. You are really giving him the benefit of the doubt. I chose to (sort of) not chime in. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

srwild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2013
socorro, nm
the big pond will be heated by convection pipe in the cement under the pond, and the 7k one will be heated with a medium sized propane pond heater. by the way i am 26 and would never let a 12 year old to have a pima.

srwild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2013
socorro, nm
as far as sending some of them back US law tends to be to restrictive, the fish would have to be in quarantine for 6 or more weeks, and that would be vary inhumane.

srwild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2013
socorro, nm
as far as breading for the pet trade non of the giants will be sold for that i am hopping to selectively breed 2 foot dwarfs.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
as far as sending some of them back US law tends to be to restrictive, the fish would have to be in quarantine for 6 or more weeks, and that would be vary inhumane.
Wait. At the start of the thread restocking a dwindling wild population was the reason for this venture. Something changed? Quarantine is inhumane now?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I like the two foot dwarfs idea.

srwild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2013
socorro, nm
no the big ones are for food production, if Brazils authoritys would cover there quarantine then i will send some three footers down there, but do you realy think brazil would cover the qurantine them selves.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store