arapaima tank/pond size?

ΡredatoryFishLover

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2022
I am not asking this question for personal reasons, rather general curiosity. what tank/pond size does a full grown arapaima truly need, and what do you guys see as the acceptable bare minimum? from all the research I have done into this, answers vary incredibly. I have heard as small as 1000 GL and as large as 15,000 GL.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Reactions: ΡredatoryFishLover

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
There are as many answers as there will be responses; "acceptable bare minimum" to one person is completely unacceptable to the next, and perhaps unnecessarily big to another.

But you should never strive for acceptable bare minimum; the goal should always be as close to optimum as you can manage...which of course is just as subjective.

I think a good rule of thumb to bear in mind is that if you find yourself asking other folks if your tank is big enough for a fish of a given species...that probably means that you know in your heart that it isn't.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Our pima wouldn't stay in 5000 gal at 5.5ft. My estimation is for life the minimum is 30,000-50,000 US gal.

ΡredatoryFishLover

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2022
There are as many answers as there will be responses; "acceptable bare minimum" to one person is completely unacceptable to the next, and perhaps unnecessarily big to another.

But you should never strive for acceptable bare minimum; the goal should always be as close to optimum as you can manage...which of course is just as subjective.

I think a good rule of thumb to bear in mind is that if you find yourself asking other folks if your tank is big enough for a fish of a given species...that probably means that you know in your heart that it isn't.
That is very true, and I agree. I improperly worded my question I meant not necessarily the bare minimum but how many gallons would let an arapaima live a fulfilling life in captivity? I know there will be a wide range of answers and opinions.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Honestly can't understand why they would ever be kept in a tank. I understand that some have massive tanks and are amazing fish keepers, but the fish can grow to 10 foot.

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Honestly can't understand why they would ever be kept in a tank. I understand that some have massive tanks and are amazing fish keepers, but the fish can grow to 10 foot.
It will take half a century but even at 5ft you can get it something like a 50x50ft. Ponds are really more suitable, I agree.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store