Are my fish stunted?...

hazler

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Australia
I've got four Discus. pic of the 4th one didn't get uploaded and I just packed the camera away lol so will reupload it when I can be bothered, but I am pretty sure they are all 'stunted' going off that, hopefully not, one is borderline, but not much you can do about it I guess. I am hoping in time when I get a bigger tank, to get some more and a pair. I'd like to breed them so I will deffs be taking a second look at them before I buy;

This pic makes his/her colour look strange

TNT77

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2011
IL
Yup this fish has not grown since I got her a few months ago. I'm pretty sure she was given hormones. So that does not help. BUT she is healthy and happy she lays eggs often. I think she has a nice shape and good color. but she seems to be maxed out at 4"

I think some people are too quick to say fish are stunted. I think the word stunted get used to much. My fish has the large eye and seems to have stoped growing at 4" So yes it is safe to say she is stunted. I think Genetics play a part in "Stunting" a lot of the time. Also like you see my fish she is pretty and healthy but small so not all are sickly and ugly just small.
Genetics do not play a part in stunting discus..humans do. Enviroment does..nutrition does. Whether it be from an illness, poor water quality, or lack of nutrition that causes the setback the eye continues to grow even if the body does not.

Reactions: Chadster72

Chadster72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
Well. If the fish are stunted, did they grow up in those nice tanks?. I apologize. Newbie on a blog site and wanting to learn

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Well. If the fish are stunted, did they grow up in those nice tanks?. I apologize. Newbie on a blog site and wanting to learn
Tank size isn't as relevant, with the amount of high-protein food discus need they foul water quickly and poop a load too. A friend breeds discus and has to vacuum the tanks daily and does heaps of water changes to prevent stunting

Reactions: Chadster72
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store