Are rays better off in high ph/tds waters

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
And what I'm tryingto say is adding back coral to the ro water is not putting back the same minerals the rays are used to so what's the point, you mats well save on water and do a 50/50 or 65/35 ratio .
The point of using 100% ro would be to match what they are used to . So hardening the crap out of the water is kinda counter productive ?
I know you can use peat . Infact I'm going to dedicate a tank to 100% ro and Add pear and wood and see if I can get my atabapo pikes breeding

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Adding back minerals is adding back minerals, I do not think a ray can tell the difference between potassium or calcium from coral gravel or if it is from amazonian sources but this is still missing my point that it is water chemistry that needs the remineralisation, not just the rays.

There is a huge difference between "hardening the crap out of the water" and carefully replacing essential trace elements. This is why preparatory mineral dosing is so effective.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
toby have you read what i say. i understand the chemsitry part of it. why do you think i add tap water to the mix? you still have not listened. i do not create pure h20 . my h20 still has content. i do not you a de ionizer to completely strip the water. i use ro that were desinged to create drinking water. i do realize that drinking companys add abou 15 ppm of minerals to the water.my ppm is about 10 out of my ro. i could probably run my tanks off the water that comes out of my ro. i wasnt clear on that lol sorry toby. misunderstanding. you thought i was creating pure h20 i was refering to what was coming out in my units lol. im going to try it soon and see the results with some peat only. my ro produces water that contains about 10 ppm of whatever probably calcium .

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I have listened and I hear what you are saying. We seem to now be in agreement that pure RO is in need of mineralisation but as long as you are sensible then you can provide a good and stable home for the rays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store