Are Red Tail Boas fine for a beginner, despite their size?

Jolseen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Miami, la florida
I've kept a few reptiles in the past and currently owned one, and have cared for a few snakes for friends. However, I have never kept a snake of my own; I've never had to worry about cage set-up and maintenance of the snake- only feeding and handling occasionally.

I talked to a breeder who said, despite the size of red tail boas (boa constrictor imperator) they are docile if handled on a regular basis and would be fine for a beginner who could manage the snake's size.

I'm looking for personal opinion: are red tails fine for someone who has cared for other reptiles in the past, but is looking for a first snake?

chloe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
portsmouth/southampton/crawley, UK
u can get exceptions with corns and royals too.
id say yep. get a hatchling and grow wth it. awesome snakes.
x

Sylvias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2010
Somewhere
Yes for temperament and ease of care but no for cage requirements and feeding prices.
If you can provide a large enough cage and afford to feed it the XXL rats or sometimes even rabbits that it will have to eat some day then you are good to go. They are great snakes and generally very calm and relaxed.
You can also look at hog island boas which are very similar but stay a bit smaller if you don't want to be lookin at a potentially 12ft snake

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
you might want to look around on craigslist for someone that has a nice one for free or call your local spca, these guys end up being given away a lot!

handle it regularly or else it will very likely become mean, like mine, lol! as stated earlier, there are some animals that are just always mean, so be prepared for that too.

jnk22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2010
Indiana
I'm getting two here shortly as with any snake they all have their own personality that's part of the fun but with regular handling you should be just fine, Good luck

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Definitely in terms of temperament. It's not like the emerald tree boas, or white lipped pythons, which bite so often you'd think they think they're venomous. They eat and poop like big dogs, though, and they get pretty big.

Also, there's inclusion body disease to worry about with boas and pythons, would that apply to "ease of care"?

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
^ because they can, they also have way more overhead to pay for than a basement breeder.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store