Are there any risk of adding small 3" backyard found frogs to a turtle tank?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I have a 7" and 4" red eared slider turtle and also a 2" map turtle.

My son really wants me to add two 3-in frogs that are living in our pool"pond" in the backyard.

I'm not sure what kind of frogs they are but I live in Illinois I believe they're bullfrogs but they're really small.

I'm not worried about the frogs being eaten just concerned about any parasites etc

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Post some pictures - someone may be able to ID.
With wild caught animals, it’s always safe to assume they are carrying something. I wouldn’t risk it with your turtles.

If anything, you could set up another tank for the frogs.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
A bit of Googling will allow you to identify the species of frog; there aren't that many species to choose from, compared to things like fish or insects. If they're "really small" it's pretty much a sure thing that they are not Bullfrogs, which typically spend a couple years as tadpoles and are already at least 2 inches or more (nose to butt, excluding legs) when they transform to adult frogs. When you describe them as three inches, are you including the length of their outstretched rear legs?

Frogs require live moving food; they won't identify non-living prey as food. Are you prepared to spend time catching live insects for the frogs, or buying live crickets or other live prey for them? They are not like most predatory fish; you will not be able to train them to eat pellets or frozen foods. You might be able to fool them into accepting dead prey that is jiggled with forceps or on a piece of string to make it appear alive...but that will be a permanent thing, not just a temporary measure while you "train" them. It gets old fast.

And, yes, of course there is always a risk of parasites whenever you try something like this. There are also frog species that can exude a toxic substance that can kill or at least cause physical distress to other critters that attempt to eat them, or are kept in close confines with them.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Toads, not frogs. Much more terrestrial, not well-suited for an aquatic turtle tank, still the same feeding issues and definitely toxic.

They enter water in the springtime to spawn. Judging by the picture you posted of your pool, they might not be able to get back out without help.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Toads, not frogs. Much more terrestrial, not well-suited for an aquatic turtle tank, still the same feeding issues and definitely toxic.

They enter water in the springtime to spawn. Judging by the picture you posted of your pool, they might not be able to get back out without help.
Thanks! Yup snakes and toads fall in and can't get out. Usually we catch them and release them. Appreciate it I won't be putting them in the tank.

By the way if I capture a baby toad am I able to feed an arowana for example with it? Or risk of toxins?

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Put a log or plank (not pressure treated wood!) so that one end is floating in the pond and the other end sticks out onto dry land; they'll usually find their way out.

Toads are definitely among the more toxic North American amphibians. How much does it cost to provide one meal for your arowana? How much is that fish worth to you? How much might you save by feeding it a toad? Do the math. I don't know how much of an effect a toad would have on a fish, and personally don't need to find out.

I often use small frogs that fall victim to the lawnmower as food for predatory fish. I need to be careful that they are Boreal Chorus Frogs (non-toxic) rather than Wood Frogs (toxic); those are the only two species in my area that periodically show up in massive numbers, right after they transform. My Jelly Cat has probably eaten a hundred or more over the past couple years; that number could easily have been in the thousands if I purposely collected the frogs, but I only use ones that accidentally get mowed or weed-whacked.

If you aren't sure you can discern the species...and if you mistake toads for frogs, then you can't! :)...I'd play it safe and stick with pellets for your fish. :)

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Put a log or plank (not pressure treated wood!) so that one end is floating in the pond and the other end sticks out onto dry land; they'll usually find their way out.

Toads are definitely among the more toxic North American amphibians. How much does it cost to provide one meal for your arowana? How much is that fish worth to you? How much might you save by feeding it a toad? Do the math. I don't know how much of an effect a toad would have on a fish, and personally don't need to find out.

I often use small frogs that fall victim to the lawnmower as food for predatory fish. I need to be careful that they are Boreal Chorus Frogs (non-toxic) rather than Wood Frogs (toxic); those are the only two species in my area that periodically show up in massive numbers, right after they transform. My Jelly Cat has probably eaten a hundred or more over the past couple years; that number could easily have been in the thousands if I purposely collected the frogs, but I only use ones that accidentally get mowed or weed-whacked.

If you aren't sure you can discern the species...and if you mistake toads for frogs, then you can't! :)...I'd play it safe and stick with pellets for your fish. :)
Yep the arowana is spoiled(shrimp , tilapia etc) I just thought it would be cool to see it eat a frog. But I'm not going to risk it. All the toads usually find their way to the steps so it's easy capture and release but some of them end up coming right back haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store