Are these CPO eggs fertilized?

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
I have 3 female cpos in a 10 gallon. I really wanted 2 females, one male but was having a hard time finding a male in the batch. One of the females was berried with all black eggs when I bought her so I figured I'd just wait for the babies and eventually get a male. I don't know how long she was holding before I brought her home. Within a couple of days most of the eggs changed color. There are still a few that are black but most kind of match her body color now. I don't see any eye spots. She is still fanning them frequently and has picked a seashell in the tank to stay under. She stays in the shell all day and chases the other crays away if they try to walk past. Are these eggs fertilized? 20170914_102429.jpg 20170914_102420.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have 3 female cpos in a 10 gallon. I really wanted 2 females, one male but was having a hard time finding a male in the batch. One of the females was berried with all black eggs when I bought her so I figured I'd just wait for the babies and eventually get a male. I don't know how long she was holding before I brought her home. Within a couple of days most of the eggs changed color. There are still a few that are black but most kind of match her body color now. I don't see any eye spots. She is still fanning them frequently and has picked a seashell in the tank to stay under. She stays in the shell all day and chases the other crays away if they try to walk past. Are these eggs fertilized? View attachment 1273943 View attachment 1273944

The black colored ones look like they are developing.

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
Thanks. When i bought her they were all black. Is there a reason why so few would be fertilized?

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
I was able to stop into the store that I got the 3 females from. The guy was kind enough to pull all of the mini crays from the tank so that I could find a definite male. I was able to find one out seven crays that he pulled. I brought him home, did a partial water change, and released him. Within 10 minutes I found him mating with one of the females. I'm hoping this batch will provide a higher yield.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was able to stop into the store that I got the 3 females from. The guy was kind enough to pull all of the mini crays from the tank so that I could find a definite male. I was able to find one out seven crays that he pulled. I brought him home, did a partial water change, and released him. Within 10 minutes I found him mating with one of the females. I'm hoping this batch will provide a higher yield.

Lol he didn't waste time.

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
I know. I was pleasantly surprised. Not in a pervy way, though. Lol. This is my first attempt to breed crays/shrimp. I have had my first berried shrimp and cray in the past week. Exciting!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store