Are your LFS's feeder guppies heavily diseased, too?

Avonnite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2008
WI
I don't know if everyone has had this trouble, but every batch of guppies I get is loaded with fish dying of disease... (severe tail-rot, gill disease, open sores, mouth rot... etc.) Most of them die within a few days, even though I've put them in a non-feeder set up with good filtration. I even tried fish medications, but most of them are already too heavily diseased. One female actually got to dropping fry, but only a few were not deformed. (Inbreeding?)

Is this the trouble with all feeders? Or did I just try a LFS with bad stock?

I was thinking of trying another place, but do you think that all the stores around one city get their supply from one wholesaler?

wonword

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2008
St. Paul, MN
one of my LFS stores sells "feeder guppies" which are really mosquito fish, and they are pretty healthy. they tore all the fins of the one fancy guppy i had in the feeder tank in a matter of minutes though.

bluestarjazz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2008
akron, ohio
just buy a few fat fancys and let them breed there seem to be fewer sick ones in those tanks and they seem bigger than any of the feeder guppys

Cecropia

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2008
US
Mine are tending to not reach maturity. Inbreeding has lead to shortened life spans :(

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
Personally I dont have a problem with bad feeders in my area, even the pet smart feeders are healthy...

skiptomyzoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
The feeders around here are healthy, and when they are bad the one store around here I have seen tell customers to wait untill the next shipment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store