Argentine "big head" brassy dorado

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Not for long. They don't seem to "play well with others" . Lol
I certainly hope so though! According to Alan's experience with Argentine bighead brassies seems to contradict popular opinion of dorado being community friendly keeping his with an assortment of fish. He is the only person I know that has CONFIRMED bighead brassy from wes. Based off his experience I believe this lil guy will (hopefully) be chill with tankmates. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out, it's a pretty cool thread
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...is-(Argentinian-Golden-Dorado)-growout-thread

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LiamIrons

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2012
Nottingham,Uk
Oh yeah I do remember that... Although I thought it was fairly obvious that big one that died was a franky. However I do remember he had a couple more that he thought were brassy but really were frankies too. I honestly think that the head shape on the 2nd one isn't natural probably ran into something hard or bad genetics or something since they're farmed in large numbers they probably end up with some funkier looking fish.

More that I think about it and look at this lil guy I'm thinking he's a brassy. Collection point and Wes's word behind it how much more sure can you get? Lol.. He's Playing nice with the giant danios too ;)

lol I am still 100% sure that the two I've got are brassy due to the paraguay catch location lol.
1799895_1602070420008407_4037522434532571985_o.jpg

1799895_1602070420008407_4037522434532571985_o.jpg

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
lol I am still 100% sure that the two I've got are brassy due to the paraguay catch location lol.
View attachment 1064980
Hmmm interesting... I thought you said they were from Uruguay not that long ago... It's face bones and structure look franky to me.... Although Dorados seem to have variable looking heads and sizes. However he looks very nice and gold. Pretty nice fish though. I do think you had one that looked brassy more that I looked it's head looked pretty round for a franky

LiamIrons

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2012
Nottingham,Uk
Paraguay sorry. I've done a scale count aswell and it came out at 87. They came in a shipment with luciopimelodus from the same location

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Paraguay sorry. I've done a scale count aswell and it came out at 87. They came in a shipment with luciopimelodus from the same location
Hmmm very interesting. according to one of chicxlubs sources it says fransiscanus usually have a higher scale count. 87 seems pretty high supposedly according to literatureImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1426545690.111944.jpg
However I'm not 100% sure how accurate it is. You could have a brassy or two for all I know. Idk how much collection point helps though. These things have really confused me though. DBs argentine bighead had really fine scales, while looking back at your guy when he was small, his scales don't look fine compared to your frankies. Also I've noticed that while DBs has maintained its unique head shape pretty well at a larger size your guys seemed to level out... Just a thought from another perspective. Could be right, could be wrong. Perhaps the argentine bighead is a whole nother species? I've seen many pics of dorados without the crazy looking head DBs "bighead" has that are caught south of brazil.

LiamIrons

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2012
Nottingham,Uk
Hmmm very interesting. according to one of chicxlubs sources it says fransiscanus usually have a higher scale count. 87 seems pretty high supposedly according to literatureView attachment 1064987
However I'm not 100% sure how accurate it is. You could have a brassy or two for all I know. Idk how much collection point helps though. These things have really confused me though. DBs argentine bighead had really fine scales, while looking back at your guy when he was small, his scales don't look fine compared to your frankies. Also I've noticed that while DBs has maintained its unique head shape pretty well at a larger size your guys seemed to level out... Just a thought from another perspective. Could be right, could be wrong. Perhaps the argentine bighead is a whole nother species? I've seen many pics of dorados without the crazy looking head DBs "bighead" has that are caught south of brazil.

well to be honest the only way I'll ever get a correct ID on this fish i having an expert look at it because all i've got to go on is the catch location and it looking really different to all the other dorados I've owned

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
They don't get the huge heads until they get really big and it might be sex related. Maybe only Males get the big head? Who has the largest Dorado in captivity? I haven't seen any real big ones.

No you're wrong there though, they have the big rounder head at a very small size...

Also I don't think it's a sex linked trait either... People who have pics of "brassies" caught in Argentine waters face bone and head structure look the same regardless of sex.

H20 mike has a massive one almost 30 ish inches. Triggera has a huge one used to have 3. There are big ones out there just gotta look around

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
No you're wrong there though, they have the big rounder head at a very small size...

Also I don't think it's a sex linked trait either... People who have pics of "brassies" caught in Argentine waters face bone and head structure look the same regardless of sex.

H20 mike has a massive one almost 30 ish inches. Triggera has a huge one used to have 3. There are big ones out there just gotta look around

Care to show me a pic of a small one with a huge head?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I think you're taking the big head a little out if proportion, their heads are bigger compared to the Frankie's if I've read correct.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork a

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store