Aro Surgery?

BenZino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2012
United States
Recently one of my aro pectorial fin got broken due to running into driftwood. I was thinking of cutting it off so it can grow back normally. Any thoughts on this and procedure?

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
fast the aro for 2-3 days (depends how big the aro) , bag the aro ... sedate and then cut the fin ... release back to the tank

GetzGT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2005
Singapore
Use transmore... Bag the aro, pour in the required amount and wait for fish to sleep... Bring it out on a wet towel to do the cutting.... Finally put the fish back in clean water and hold it till it comes around. Move the fish around in the clean water to have water passing through its mouth and gills, this will wake the aro faster.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dayak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
sacramento
i have seen it on tv that water mix with little olive oil will temporarily put fish to sleep (seduction). the rest i have no idea on the procedures

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
Yeah, I dont think we have transmore in the US. Dont think its legal. How fast do you think the fin will grow back?
i think transmore for fish is more appropriate .... i believe some local fish store provide it.
i usually use oceanfree stabilizer

i have seen it on tv that water mix with little olive oil will temporarily put fish to sleep (seduction). the rest i have no idea on the procedures
i dont know abt olive oil to sedate aros .... but local here use clove oil, a natural n cheaper alternative to sedate aros.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Transmore is better than clove oil, since there's a risk of clove oil clogging the fish gill. With clove oil, you need to hold the fish at a strong air stone once surgery is done to flush out the oil, or it may clog the gill, result in fatal. Btw, the fin won't grow back normal. There will be a kink/scar at where you cut it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store