Arowana gasping after 30% water change

csaechao

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2008
Colorado
Sucks, it may be too late but I would continue to do large volumes of WC on the tank to ensure removing all of the chemicals. When it killed off 80% of my fish, I took the tank down completely and cleaned everything to start over. Good luck!

05spurky

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
Cherry Valley, IL
I think I have figured it out! I was not 100 percent convinced it was the algae chemicals because I have used them before with no problems.

The problem is *NITRATE SHOCK*, the water change dropped my nitrates, reason for water change, but too drastic. This only caused a problem with my sensitive fish, hence affecting the ray and aro. Although I am pretty sure that figured it out, it was too late for my ray.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

05spurky

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
Cherry Valley, IL
According to*Shirlie Sharpe, Freshwater Aquariums Expert

Nitrate shock*occurs when fish are suddenly exposed to a vastly different level of nitrate, often by as much as several hundred parts per million. Although nitrate shock usually happens when fish are suddenly exposed to a much higher level of nitrate,

*fish can be shocked if nitrate levels suddenly drop dramatically (which was my case). *

As with*nitrite poisoning, immature fish and certain species, such as Discus, are more sensitive to sudden changes in nitrate.

My fish experienced all of the below symptoms which Ms. Sharpe summarized:

Loss of appetite
Fish become listless
Fish experience loss of equilibrium
Fish lay at bottom of tank
Rapid gill movement
Fish curl head to tail (advanced stages)

Thanks to all who helped me figure this out!

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
You'll find the symptoms for just about any shock or stress is the same.

I think your first guess and everyone's else guess was correct. the "algae chems" are the cause. Nitrate shock from a water change dropping nitrates is NOT the problem. To be a bit blunt a real a bit aquarium "expert" would never have suggest that lol

I've known many people who have had similar symptoms and deaths after accidental overdose with anti-algae chem or excel even after long term use, accidents do happen.

It would be helpful to know exactly What chems were added .

05spurky

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
Cherry Valley, IL
It would be helpful to know exactly What chems were added .
Used algae control by tetra, same dosage for 5 years with no prior problems.

Moving forward, I plan to no longer use above said, and change less water more often.......so hopefully it won't happen again if the problem was caused by one of the 2 (algae control or nitrate shock/poisoning).

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Ya I'd confidently say that's your cause, a quick google search will find you many examples of this same product killing off tanks. Even their own website has a review stating it happened !

Sorry to hear it happened. When dealing with medications or chemicals things can easily go bad and quickly. Mistakes can be made , and even the recommended dosages are not exact since species involved and water parameters in every tank are different. Simple things like water level being low or not considering how the decore /substrate subtracts from the over all water volume are common mistakes, water parameters can also change how a chemical reacts in a tank or how a fish responds to a chemical. So sometime even if you've used the product before
unless your testing all your parameters before each dosage you can't guarantee the same results as before! Ph, temps, o2 levels etc may/will all play a roll I how a fish/tank will react to a treatment.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Another thing to consider is the possibility that there was a contaminant in your water source. If you're on city water, maybe check with water dept to see if there were any issues lately. A few years back my In-Laws city water was contaminated with some gasoline by-product that wasn't discovered/disclosed until weeks later. In any case, steer clear from algaecide products.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store