AROWANA MAJOR INJURY. NEED HELP PLZ!

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
It seems like now would be the time to do something. Could it heal and be just fine with it protruding? Seems like it's in a lot of pain. Thrashing all night. Does it need to be put down?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I would just let it heal on its own - big mistake keeping them together - learn from it. Nothing wrong with having a special-needs fish.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
They weren't fighting. They were going for the same piece of food and lung fish bit aro instead of the food. I think it's blind or very poor vision.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
What I would do if I were you is seperate the fish immediately. Put the arowana in a seperate tank. Treat him with salt or melafix and heavily airate the tank. You might also want to use pimafix to prevent the wound from becoming infected or growing fungus. Depending on how bad the wound/bone sticking out I would possibly try and apply a liquid bandage of some sort BUT only if it's placed in a seperate tank that is heavily airated.sedate the fish first. try to push the bone back in place before the liquid bandage/adhesive is applied. I've heard of this process being done with expensive and high end koi fish but have never done it myself so Research the topic a bit yourself I'm not sure what types of liquid bandage are safe or not.best of luck and please post pics, water parameters, and any other info you think may be helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Don't you think netting the aro Would cause a lot more stress and possibly further damage?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Like I said… a bad mistake.

Yes - netting would cause further damage - the bone would catch, and probably twist further, and/or do additional damage.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Don't you think netting the aro Would cause a lot more stress and possibly further damage?
Who said you were to use a net? Lol. The best thing to do would be to use a towel I think. Get the towel wet and guide him in it and lift him out simple as that. That's how I moved my RTC with no hassles or struggle. Then take him to the desired destination. I mean that's how I have moved large fish with no struggle or issues in the past. Or even better sedate him if your really expirenced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
any update on this fish?
Alive and well. Was eating as usual the next day. Now the lower jaw bone sticking out is starting to curl down but doesn't seem to bother the aro at all. A guy at my LFS told me to wait til it starts to turn yellow and lift em out with a towel and clip it off with scissors or something.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
It appears that it's trying to heal and pull the jaw bone back in on its own. I'll try to get a picture but it never sits still.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store