Arowana tail split

Defalt

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2022
Indonesia
My Silver arowana size 19 cm jumped from a height of 1.75 m height and fell to the ground while i was changing its aquarium lights. After i put him back and obseve him for 15 min he seem to be fine, almost no external injuries except that his tail fin was split in two, swims perfectly fine though. Will his tail reattach? And if yes how long does it usually take to heal. Also do i need to do any additional stuff or just leave him alone since he seem fine. Do arowana get internal bleeding or damage after jumping? If yes what signs do i need to watch for.
PS. This is my first time handling an arowana jumping out so i have no clue how to proceed.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My Silver arowana size 19 cm jumped from a height of 1.75 m height and fell to the ground while i was changing its aquarium lights. After i put him back and obseve him for 15 min he seem to be fine, almost no external injuries except that his tail fin was split in two, swims perfectly fine though. Will his tail reattach? And if yes how long does it usually take to heal. Also do i need to do any additional stuff or just leave him alone since he seem fine. Do arowana get internal bleeding or damage after jumping? If yes what signs do i need to watch for.
PS. This is my first time handling an arowana jumping out so i have no clue how to proceed.
Unfortunately this has happened to many of us including me. How is the Silver Arowana swimming?
The fin will heal but can't give you a time period but keep water in pristine condition.
Purchase velcro straps to secure the lids.

Defalt

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2022
Indonesia
Unfortunately this has happened to many of us including me. How is the Silver Arowana swimming?
The fin will heal but can't give you a time period but keep water in pristine condition.
Purchase velcro straps to secure the lids.
At first he was floating weirdly, head closer to surface and tail pointing downward, but after 15 min he was swimming perfectly fine around the tank. I use velcro and nets, like the one used on windows to prevent bugs from entering. Its just that during the light cange i open up a portion of it. Usually he would avoid me but i think the new lights scared him enough that he jumped straight in front of my face and to the floor. I have another arowana in a seperate tank that lets me do whatever i want in his tank, even touching him and he just calmly swims around. Guess it's a good reminder to keep my guar up raound arowanas. Its the silver's second day in its tank so in retrospect i don't tink its a good idea to mess with its tank too much. On that note what about internal injuries, cause he fell from quite the height, do arowana usually fall from that height unscratched?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
At first he was floating weirdly, head closer to surface and tail pointing downward, but after 15 min he was swimming perfectly fine around the tank. I use velcro and nets, like the one used on windows to prevent bugs from entering. Its just that during the light cange i open up a portion of it. Usually he would avoid me but i think the new lights scared him enough that he jumped straight in front of my face and to the floor. I have another arowana in a seperate tank that lets me do whatever i want in his tank, even touching him and he just calmly swims around. Guess it's a good reminder to keep my guar up raound arowanas. Its the silver's second day in its tank so in retrospect i don't tink its a good idea to mess with its tank too much. On that note what about internal injuries, cause he fell from quite the height, do arowana usually fall from that height unscratched?
do arowana usually fall from that height unscratched?
Probably only in the wild when jumping for food mainly insects. Great to hear the Arowana is swimming normal.

Reactions: Defalt and 1 2many

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
It’s not uncommon for fish to sustain internal damage after a fall from tank.Time will tell. You may have been lucky to avoid this and the only injury sustained was the split tail fin. As tlindsey already said keep the water pristine. Monitor for changes in the fish’s behavior. Additionally, as you already stated it will be best not to disturb your new arowana too much. They are especially skittish when first introduced to a tank. Dim/natural lighting from a window is best imo, and a tight fitting lid is a must have. Also try to minimize activity/commotion around the tank to allow the fish settle without being constantly disturbed.

Reactions: Defalt

Defalt

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2022
Indonesia
It’s not uncommon for fish to sustain internal damage after a fall from tank.Time will tell. You may have been lucky to avoid this and the only injury sustained was the split tail fin. As tlindsey already said keep the water pristine. Monitor for changes in the fish’s behavior. Additionally, as you already stated it will be best not to disturb your new arowana too much. They are especially skittish when first introduced to a tank. Dim/natural lighting from a window is best imo, and a tight fitting lid is a must have. Also try to minimize activity/commotion around the tank to allow the fish settle without being constantly disturbed.
Ok noted, what are the signs of internal damage? Can internal damage heal? Do I need to add salt or medication just in case? It's only been 2 days since he's been in my care so I don't really know his usual behavior, currently he's back to being skittish when anyone approach the tank. Feeding wise can I continue with normal feedings or do I need to starve him to heal faster? Is it a good sign if he's eating normally?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok noted, what are the signs of internal damage? Can internal damage heal? Do I need to add salt or medication just in case? It's only been 2 days since he's been in my care so I don't really know his usual behavior, currently he's back to being skittish when anyone approach the tank. Feeding wise can I continue with normal feedings or do I need to starve him to heal faster? Is it a good sign if he's eating normally?
If you don't notice any fungus on the fins or body of the Arowana just keep up with water maintenance wc's, etc. The Arowana may not eat for a few days but eventually will eat when it gets really hungry. Also Silver Arowana are very skittish until over a foot ime.

Reactions: 1 2many and Defalt

Defalt

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2022
Indonesia
If you don't notice any fungus on the fins or body of the Arowana just keep up with water maintenance wc's, etc. The Arowana may not eat for a few days but eventually will eat when it gets really hungry. Also Silver Arowana are very skittish until over a foot ime.
Ok, I know its a stupid question but can you describe how a fungus would look on an arowana? Cause I notice abit of white slimy stuff floating about in the tank after I put him in, I just assume its abit of his slime coat peeling off. Do fungus grow that fast?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok, I know its a stupid question but can you describe how a fungus would look on an arowana? Cause I notice abit of white slimy stuff floating about in the tank after I put him in, I just assume its abit of his slime coat peeling off. Do fungus grow that fast?
Fungus looks white cotton fuzzy like on the body or fins.

Reactions: kno4te and Defalt
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store