Asian Arowana / African Arowana

curiouskid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
Asking if i am able to comm a African Arowana with a Asian Arowana?
Currently have 1 12" African Arowana, looking to get a BBXB but am unsure if its possible.

curiouskid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
Has it not been done before? :( asking as i don't wish to risk the lives of these beauties

curiouskid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
even it has been done before and successful, there is no indication that yours will be successful...
i see.. is there any pointers that maybe i can take away from previous attempts to e.g reduce aggression and such?

curiouskid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
Update: i bought a 5" XB and tried to introduce it into my 4x2.5x1.5 with the 12" afro. but afro was too aggressive, chasing after the XB and biting hard.. seems like its not possible..

Afro has been moved to a different tank for now

How can i comm these two now? or is it impossible? will putting a divider and letting them get used to each other's presences work? any other method?

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Do you have a picture of your aftican arowana?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Update: i bought a 5" XB and tried to introduce it into my 4x2.5x1.5 with the 12" afro. but afro was too aggressive, chasing after the XB and biting hard.. seems like its not possible..

Afro has been moved to a different tank for now

How can i comm these two now? or is it impossible? will putting a divider and letting them get used to each other's presences work? any other method?
I think the difference in size is one reason...and may consider adding another xb

Also maybe you can consider adding other fishes like silver dollars to distract the African aro ...

A wavemaker may also help

But again nothing is guaranteed

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
From my experience, well fed African Aro don't bother their tankmates. The ones that start fights are usually the hungry ones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store