Asian Arowana Breeding Dance

hmoobvwj

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
WISCONSIN
WOW awesome pair! The growling was so....so....MAJESTIC. :)

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
you've made it ( almost ) Congrats!!

BaTsBR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Brasil
how are they now ???
did the breeding dance make good results ???

Brian Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2008
Wood River Illinois
Wow that was really cool I cant wait to show my son. Good luck on breeding.

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
hmm.. since having a fish growl at me sure as hell would make me run (yes run when in water) it just have to scare other fish/turn other fish on..

flagtail

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2005
here fishy fishy
I believe it takes 5 years for them to mature, they might not be there yet.....

They now do this anywhere from 2-8 times per day.....one thing that I can't capture on vid, is the low humming sound that the male makes the whole time as they swim together....as if he is putting the female into a hymotized state....

The male will do a quck dash up to her, followed by a swim by, at times opening his mouth, and caressing her behind the gill plate.....most of the time she just ignores him.....if she shows any interest, and joins him in the swim...he will start the low hum sound.....(in the beginning I thought it was the freezer in the room making the noise...LOL)...with this low hum, she just follows his exact movements..... the growl at the end, is them separating, and each going their own way....It might also be when he fertilizes the eggs, if she drops them....LOL

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
So then the growl is from the fruastration due to the lack of making sweet lovin!?!??

LOL

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
very cool! good luck!

do they make the noise under other circumstances? or is this tied to breeding only?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store