UK prices are as follows

Green cheap £90-100
Banjar don't bother they are a waste of money
Red tail gold £300-350
High back red tail gold £400-450
Blue base xback £700-1000
24k cross back £800
Super red £800

The best entry level Asian aro is the RTG but most people grow them for a few years then wish they had got a xback from the start

Golds (RTG xback ) get to 60cm 24"
Reds get to 90cm 36"

My advice would be save the extra money and get super red or xback most people who are into aros get there in the end

Don't buy a RTG thinking you will sell it later and get great money for it a 24" rtg sells for nearly the came as a 6"

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
UK prices are as follows

Green cheap £90-100
Banjar don't bother they are a waste of money
Red tail gold £300-350
High back red tail gold £400-450
Blue base xback £700-1000
24k cross back £800
Super red £800

The best entry level Asian aro is the RTG but most people grow them for a few years then wish they had got a xback from the start

Golds (RTG xback ) get to 60cm 24"
Reds get to 90cm 36"

My advice would be save the extra money and get super red or xback most people who are into aros get there in the end

Don't buy a RTG thinking you will sell it later and get great money for it a 24" rtg sells for nearly the came as a 6"

I like the blue xback the most, so ill probaly save up the extra for one of those. Do the bluebase xback also "only" get to 60cm. Does your Arowana bother your rays? I've heard that they can be very curiues and aggressive.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I like the blue xback the most, so ill probaly save up the extra for one of those. Do the bluebase xback also "only" get to 60cm. Does your Arowana bother your rays? I've heard that they can be very curiues and aggressive.
I have kept over 20 Asian aros and they have never bothered the rays

Even now when I have new born ray pups in the tank 3-4" my 28" red doesn't even took at them

All aros I have had have been kept with smaller fish and even now I could put a 7" tiger/dat in my tank and the aro won't go near it

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
in srilanka prices are really low
green arowana - $75
rtg arowana - $180
red arowana - $280
super red - $700
chilli red - $650
golden x back - $800

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I have kept over 20 Asian aros and they have never bothered the rays

Even now when I have new born ray pups in the tank 3-4" my 28" red doesn't even took at them

All aros I have had have been kept with smaller fish and even now I could put a 7" tiger/dat in my tank and the aro won't go near it

Im a little confused. Reds Are RTGs, but you can also get RTG xbacks, what is the difference between xback and normal except size? So if I have understood correctly some Asian arowana types like rtgs have both normal and xback versions?

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk App

Rhomadeas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2013
Belleville, ON, Canada
It refers to the amount of color displayed in the scales. XB has more color higher in the body than others. If you really look at the fish, you'll see the scales are in rows (lines) down it's length. The better the potential for color development, the more you pay.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
It refers to the amount of color displayed in the scales. XB has more color higher in the body than others. If you really look at the fish, you'll see the scales are in rows (lines) down it's length. The better the potential for color development, the more you pay.
Oh, ok. Why do they stay smaller then? Dont they develop the highback too?
I know there are highback aros, but dont the xbacks develop it alittle too, or develop all asian aros the hunchback?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
High back and crossback refer to how high the gold color is up the back of the fish. Regular RTG has gold to 4th scale, highback to the 5th scale, crossback to the 6th scale lapping over the top of the back. Different grades of gold aros.

Doesn't refer to the shape

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
High back and crossback refer to how high the gold color is up the back of the fish. Regular RTG has gold to 4th scale, highback to the 5th scale, crossback to the 6th scale lapping over the top of the back. Different grades of gold aros.

Doesn't refer to the shape

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
So its kinda like a rating system? How come it does effect size then?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
So its kinda like a rating system? How come it does effect size then?
Cross back are a different type of aro compared to red tail gold

Most high back red tail golds are red tail gold x with a cross back or a very low grade cross back or they may have been placed in a white tank from birth to make the shine level go up this shine level will drop after a few months of being in a normal tank with normal lights

If you want fast results buy a cross back

If you don't mind waiting a few years for colour buy a red as they nearly always have colour going over the back
The chances of any gold having full gold over the back is very slim in a normal tank even with a cross back
The name cross back is very misleading as not many cross

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store