Asian red tail cat a monster?

Dragonfirehead

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
I walked in to a lfs and there was a 75 gal. In there was a hidden 12"artc in a cave but I see her tail sticking out. There was 2 other different cats in there along with a huge S American cichlid. All were stuck in a corners and all jacked up. Now the artc had lil marks on her too but not too bad. So I bought him for $35. Now my question is, should I keep her by herself or can I keep her along with the community? I just started a tank and getting back in. Not much fishes but will continue to get more. Just don't know what to mix with? Any input will be great.

Dragonfirehead

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
It's the first pic, I can see it's flat and not round like the second one plus it's not too pretty with faded blk/gray color. Do you the aggression on these guys? I just picked up a Aimara wolf and thinking about getting a 240 gal with them two in it? Or should I keep them separate tanks? Not willing to risk the aimara wolf. Too much $ to risk.

Dragonfirehead

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
Btw, the store guy said this beast came in by trade-in a few wks ago so he was like Ya the owner didn't want it anymore due to issues? Might be killing **** and causing problems in the tank? It's about 14-15 inches

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Like a typical catfish, it will try to eat anything that will fit into its mouth.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I had one wipe out my whole tank. Including my mala, which I miss. Took two huge chunks out of him, healed from the first one but the second one was to much. It's possible to keep these with others, but it's only been done in HUGE tanks. A 240 won't be enough for either aimara or artc. They both get big, the catfish will grow faster. Mine grew from 16 inches when I acquired it to 24 in the course of 8 months or so and showed no signs of slowing. They both come from rivers. Idk how the cat would act if a fish were to be more dominant then it, but honestly with the two, I imagine them fighting to the death, the aimara trying to defend itself, and the cat not giving up. Maybe not the first time but eventually. If I were you I'd find a new home for the cat. If you were to try a similar cat try the wyckii, I think you'll have better luck with. The artc is more active from what I've seen allowing it to show its aggression more, not to say wyckii's aren't aggressive, but their territory usually sticks to their hide where as the artc wants the whole tank upper regions included. The fish will eventually get larger than your 75gal itself. It's a fish that shouldn't be so readily available in the trade Imo. If you insist on trying to comm the two, the 240 I assume is the biggest you have, which would be best. How big is the aimara? I strongly advise against communing the two. Most species in the bagridae family might not have big teeth but they have incredibly strong jaws. Making them just as formidable as the aimara with its large teeth and strong bite(isn't quite as strong as the cats). If you do so provide plenty of hides, and a good amount of current.

Dragonfirehead

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
Thx for your response moe, I picked up the aimara from Ruck fules on classified few days ago. It's 11" in a 100gal. I picked up artc 15" yesterday it's in 60 gal right now. I'm thinking about getting 240 and put both in there maybe add rtg? Now idk after hearing from you! Sounds like they both will be in their own tank. Only need advise from experience keepers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store