Atlantic Tarpon

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Threads merged and I attended to your question.

I might buy an atlantic tarpon soon. Any idea on how fast these guys grow? Good water parameters. 150gal grow out. I might end up reconfiguring my tank stocking depending on growth. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I can partially answer you with something I've already written. I was answering about M. cyprinoides, but it applies to both:

OK we need to clear a few things up.

First, the fish pictured above is M. atlanticus.

Second, a five foot long M. cyprinoides is older than most of the people on this site. Both tarpons achieve sexual maturity at about two feet and three years old. The remaining size in an artifact of the fact that these fish will grow- slowly- until they die. For a fish that can live for approaching a century, they have the capacity to grow quite large.

Third, freshwater specimens do NOT grow as large as saltwater specimens. While all tarpons are anadromous, adults tend to live either in the ocean, estuaries or pure freshwater. Oceanic and estuarian adults feed largely on large schools of plentiful baitfish. purely freshwater wild adults never transition away from the juvenile diet of crustaceans. The result of their feeding on this less available food source is a smaller size at maturity and an ultimate size that us much smaller than oceanic and estuarian specimens.

This same phenomenon has been reported in M. atlanticus as well; though a smaller, freshwater M. atlanticus is still a huge fish.

In conclusion, a purely freshwater M. cyprinoides is a viable member of a truly MONSTER setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
As for growth rate, my experience with them has been that they're rather like silver or black arowanas in terms of growth rate and appetite. All of mine that came to me healthy have been swimming garbage cans. For water quality, they aren't picky. These guys have a slime coat from hell and can gulp air. They can live in atrocious water, though obviously good water can't hurt. All in all, I find them to be interesting, attractive fish that are super easy to keep. I'll admit that I prefer the M. cyprinoides though; they're more of a pure chrome color as opposed to shiny green or blue-grey.

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Threads merged and I attended to your question.

I can partially answer you with something I've already written. I was answering about M. cyprinoides, but it applies to both:

As for growth rate, my experience with them has been that they're rather like silver or black arowanas in terms of growth rate and appetite. All of mine that came to me healthy have been swimming garbage cans. For water quality, they aren't picky. These guys have a slime coat from hell and can gulp air. They can live in atrocious water, though obviously good water can't hurt. All in all, I find them to be interesting, attractive fish that are super easy to keep. I'll admit that I prefer the M. cyprinoides though; they're more of a pure chrome color as opposed to shiny green or blue-grey.
Thanks a lot for this chix:)

The indo-pac tarpon naturally occurs here and are considered food fish. Its common to catch 1 meter long fishes.:)

However, fish that size tend to have a VERy high mortality rate when transferred to a home set up. Known to die during the first water change:(

They also cost a fraction of the atlanticus at around 1$ per 5" fish.

With the color, they are locally called "buwan-buwan" buwan is the filipino for moon. I believe its because of how their scales reflect the moonlight at night.

Indos, unless i get them quite large already, i dont see them keeping up with the growth of the stock:(

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I am interested to know the growth rate and temperament on these guys? As I understand they are fairly slow growers? Also the cyprinoides is the purely freshwater tarpon correct? Anyone have one that can share their experiences please? They seem like a really cool fish that would be a nice addiction to my Rays that is different than most other fish! Thankyou all in advance!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store