Status
Not open for further replies.

darwinvsjesus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Tonawanda, NY
This article http://www.all-creatures.org/adow/art-20060816.html

is about a post made on a NC craigslist. This is a beautifully moving, heart-wrenching, sad, tragic tale. If you love your pets, give this some thought. The post on CL has since been removed, but it is a really intense read, anyone. I'm involved in animal rights activism and animal rescue and I can personally vouch for the voracity of this claim. Someone in my group spoke to this man. I hope you guys enjoy it (?)

[note : Not forcing anything down anyone's throat. Just wanted to share this with someone. I'm a grown man, actually I'm a Satanist. We Satanists tend to take the view that 'might makes right'. This made me tear up. I think breeding dogs has it's place - done by a professional, competent, licensed breeder. Again, I just thought some of you would find this moving.

darwinvsjesus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Tonawanda, NY
i know. People always ask me why I became a vegan. The only answer I can give is that,

it's one thing to KNOW that the cow or whatever is kicked, shoved, electrocuted, psychologically traumatized, strung up and bled out..while conscious....

but,

To see it. To WATCH it happen, changes things. I think the same goes for everything else.

Today, while feeding my barracudas, I took a moment to look into the little rosy red's eye, and I swear on my life I saw terror and fear. I felt so guilty. I know my cudas have to eat. But I'm responsible for it. I don't know if anyone else knows what I mean, and I certainly don't believe it's wrong to feed live food, just that, today it hit me hard how I might contribute to their discomfort, you know?

geez, maybe this will turn into a really nice philosophical musing. Or nothing.

Thanks for reading, Oddball.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
He should have just quit...

The way he wrote, its like he rather die than to kill another dog.

circumbus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2011
Singapore
i love dogs. to have read a story so first hand is really lifechanging. i have a dog and he's the only one that greets anyone when they arrive at home, stranger or family member, he greets them all, unconditionally. when an animal like that can love like no human i've met, its only right that we try our best to love them just as much for as long as they live. thanks Darwin, for the story.

Liam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
Brisbane - Australia.
yeah, the reality is if there is a pet industry, there is this type of thing. this guy made it way too hard for himself though.. if you're working that field you gotta have some form of indifference or you'll just drive yourself crazy, which obviously this guy didn't have.

darwinvsjesus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Tonawanda, NY
Liam;5072565; said:
yeah, the reality is if there is a pet industry, there is this type of thing. this guy made it way too hard for himself though.. if you're working that field you gotta have some form of indifference or you'll just drive yourself crazy, which obviously this guy didn't have.

The problem is, you can't be indifferent when you see that the dogs have consciousness, feelings, emotions. They love, they fear, they are individuals. Unless you yourself do the same work he has to do, I don't think it's fair to say

'you have to be indifferent'

I think he's saying that indifference is one of the reasons the dogs suffer so severely. The truth is, watching a dog forced into a gas chamber is absolutely heartbreaking. The way we treat some animals is absolutely reprehensible. Go on youtube and watch a co2 euthanasia if you think you can stomach it. You'll see.

I once saw a documentary called "earthlings", it's about our treatment of animals. There's a scene about dog over-population in turkey. A group of men find a dog lying by the road, call him over, and meanwhile the dog is wagging his tail, happy as can be, and they throw him into the back of a garbage truck. You know, the trash compactor. And I swear to Lucifer, the bringer of light, that the dog wags his tail the entire time, even as the trash compactor lowers closer and closer. Finally, it's clear he's not a happy dog anymore when you hear his screams.

Really. Indifference is unacceptable. It really is. HE ALSO said very clearly that there was literally no other work for him. He didn't WANT to do that job.

Eupterus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2006
Bennington, VT
I know this story, it's a hard piece to read.
I think the message is, don't hate the person doing the 'dirty work", hate the people who require this "work" to be done in the first place.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I friggin love dogs. That makes me sick. There was a guy here in my city that was in court for kicking a 4 lb chi in the head so hard it broke its skull and knocked its eyeball out of its socket. Even worse than that he threw it in the basement after. If i had a clean record i woulda went down to the courthouse and kicked this guy in the head and see how he liked it. A lil off topic but still it amazes me how lil respect for life some humans have. I swear if i was a millionaire i would hang outside courthouses with some paid thugs to dish out some justice.

Delhezi222

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
P
I've read that story numerous times, and it doesn't get any easier to read each time. Fortunately, the world is changing. I can speak from a personal/local level, there are currently no kill shelters near me, which is definitely something I'm glad to see. I've also noticed that a lot of people around me are getting rescue dogs. I was just at my uncle's house and they've rescued three dogs, two in the past year or so. It seems to me that humanity is finally starting to come around a little bit and realize what needs to change.

With that said, I don't think I'll ever be able to embrace a full animal rights/vegan lifestyle. I do believe that certain animals are meant to be eaten, and obviously certain populations of animals need to be controlled. However, we need to find much more humane ways of doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store