Australian lungfish pricing

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
What would now be considered the realistic value of an AUL (assuming I found one for sale)? thanks

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I had a 2' offered to me recently at $2500 and an 18" at $1500. Both were in the last year.

Red Beard

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2016
AUSTRALIA
I recently enquired about one from the breeder here in Australia @ ceratodus . com

They were prompt in reply and answered my questions. They obviously have some at the moment, I've read on this forum that in previous years they haven't.

If you're able to import, or go through a licensed importer, the low Aud at the moment would be in your favour.

They're not cheap but they shouldn't be re their status, lifespan and numbers. I love them. I'm nowhere near ready to get one at the moment as I'm just getting back into the hobby and am in the very initial stages of planning my tank... but definitely something I'll seriously be considering in a year or two!

Good luck.

Reactions: Red Aimara

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
cool thank you for the input
I saw one online awhile back for $1000 with free shipping but it was on sale due to a small injury it probably already sold but I'm not sure might wanna look into it if your considering purchasing one.

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
They used to "only" be about $500 (USD) when I first came to this forum. Surprised price has risen so much.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Why are they so much? It also sounds like they are the only real community tank friendly lungfish?

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
And please no "supply and demand" answer. Asides from the obvious economic lesson, are they rare in the wild, difficult to export? Protected? Just curious.

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
And please no "supply and demand" answer. Asides from the obvious economic lesson, are they rare in the wild, difficult to export? Protected? Just curious.
They are a protected species but there is one certified breeder in Australia that one must order from to get a growout. The only other way is to find a person who can no longer house his/her own but highly unlikely seeing how AUL cost about 1.5k or 2.5k I forget. (the price last time a thread like this was made).

Reactions: knobhill
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store