BABY BETTA FRY HELP!!!!!!

born2lovefish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Indianapolis
Ok here is the deal. I have a pair of bettas and the male has been in a 2.5 planted. I put the female in there couple weeks ago and he about killed her. I took her out and put her in a container by the 2.5. Monday night, I think, I put them back together after noticing him starting to build a nest. Eggs were layed, and I never took out the female because I did not want to mess up the nest finding her in the plants. The fry are hanging there and some are falling. Dad puts them back in nest some try to swim. I shut the little palmer filter off tonight. Can I move them to a different tank when they are free swimming or should I leave them with the dad in the planted? Also, what do I feed them? Should I hatch some baby brine or are they too big for the fry the first week or so? Oh, the planted has fuzzy algae on the sides, will the fry eat that? I knew I should have put the male in another 2.5 with just a sponge filter! Oh well, I'm pretty excited! If they don't make it, I will just learn from my mistakes and try again, but not in a heavily planted tank! Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Hi.

Pls remove the female betta after they are done with spawning. Males will take the responsibility of guarding the nest and will view females as a threat. Your female will be killed if you don't remove her.

As soon as the fry become free-swimming, remove the male immediately. He will begin to think of them as food rather than his offspring.

Plants and algae often contain microorganisms which the fry can consume. I can't comment on the use of brine shrimps as I haven't used them. However you could use this method.

When the fry become free-swimming, try to get a hard-boiled egg, scrape the yolk and suspend it in a small jar of water. Then get a medicine dropper and retrieve some water with yolk in it and squirt it to the shoal of fry.
Be careful not to feed much or you'll pollute the water fast.
Feed them only as much as they can consume. Don't put in too much food as water quality is very important.

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
congrats. I would move both parents out. As for food get some baby brine shrimp eggs and hatch them or buy frozen. You can also crush flake food very fine and use that. they will find some food if you have enough algea.

born2lovefish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Indianapolis
Thanks. The female has been in with him for about 2 days. She hides pretty well. I can hardly find her at times in a 2.5 gallon! I'm afraid since the tank is so small that if I put a net in there it will mess up the bubble nest which is taking up half of the plfipping tank right now!

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
dodgefreak8;624956; said:
I would move both parents out.
The male should not be removed at the moment.:) He is still useful up to the point when the fry become free-swimming. Male bettas create bubbles to ensure the eggs and fry(not at free-swimming stage yet) will remain stuck to the nest. Otherwise the survival rate will fail if both are drowned to the bottom.

born2lovefish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Indianapolis
Thanks! I set up another 2.5 gallon with a small heater and an air stone tonight. The tank is half full with RO water. When fry are free swimming I will siphon them out with an airline and move them to the newly set up 2.5 gallon. That should make caring for them easier for the first week or so.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
born2lovefish;624999; said:
Thanks! I set up another 2.5 gallon with a small heater and an air stone tonight. The tank is half full with RO water. When fry are free swimming I will siphon them out with an airline and move them to the newly set up 2.5 gallon. That should make caring for them easier for the first week or so.
Good luck.:thumbsup: :)

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
First off...Congrats! Remove just the female. Daddy will tend to the fry until they become free swimming. And once the fry become free-swimming, I would remove them and place them in a bigger tank. Maybe use a 10g and fill it half way. Put the algae in the tank as well. This will hopefully provide some infusia (sp?) and as they get bigger, offer some freshly hatched live baby brine shrimp. It is important that the air temperature and the water temperature remain about the same. They will start to breathe air and it takes about a week for them to fully develop their labyrith (sp?). This is their breathing mechanism. Once this is set, slowly fill the tank more and more or move them to evena bigger tank. Once you can distinguish males and females, separate the males. Good Luck!

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
benzjamin13;625224; said:
infusia (sp?)
Infusoria.:) Nice advice, Benz.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store