Baby Bichir Bloat?

SpecialKay

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2022
Hey everyone, back with more bichir struggles...

A baby Senegal I am growing out has had it's stomach swell up massively over the past couple days. I thought it was overfeeding, but I've starved it for a day and the belly has shown no signs of shrinking.

Water is at 10/0/0/7.8 right now, and it is kept in a 10gal with no substrate.

Has been fed exclusively chopped tilapia/flounder/swai fortified with vitachem.

Pics
IMG_20230812_012121581.jpgIMG_20230812_012056969.jpgIMG_20230812_012041594.jpg
Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Pics are kinda bad quality so it’s hard to see, here’s some possible suggestions
It could be bloat/dropsy look from top to see if scales are poking out along with Popeye
Could be parasites
Could be a internal infection
If it is dropsey there’s a high change it will die, change water more often and feed much less if it is eating

SpecialKay

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2022
Pics are kinda bad quality so it’s hard to see, here’s some possible suggestions
It could be bloat/dropsy look from top to see if scales are poking out along with Popeye
Could be parasites
Could be a internal infection
If it is dropsey there’s a high change it will die, change water more often and feed much less if it is eating
Yeah, my phone camera loses focus when it moves, and the camera has a 8 second delay between button press and actual snapshot.

Scales are fine, not pineconed. I'll try some prazipro over the next few days and hopefully that is it.

SpecialKay

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2022
Final Update, the Bichir died. Found it with stomach ruptured on bottom of tank. Tried a variety of treatments over the course of 2 months, including:

3 days Epsom Salt dips (2x 15 minutes/day)
1 week round Kanamycin
1 week round Seachem focus-binded Metroplex
2 doses Prazipro
2 days Levamisole

All was ineffective, bloat steadily increased over time until death. It may have just been genetics at play.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Final Update, the Bichir died. Found it with stomach ruptured on bottom of tank. Tried a variety of treatments over the course of 2 months, including:

3 days Epsom Salt dips (2x 15 minutes/day)
1 week round Kanamycin
1 week round Seachem focus-binded Metroplex
2 doses Prazipro
2 days Levamisole

All was ineffective, bloat steadily increased over time until death. It may have just been genetics at play.
I'm sorry for your loss. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store